Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#387348 Apr 17th, 2015 at 02:03 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone... New to the forum and looking for help. I have a mass cane that isn't doing too well over the last few days. It was doing great until I watered it and placed it outside for a couple hrs to get some sun. I noticed the leaves were turning a light brownish yellow and in a couple places the leaves on the smaller stock were getting very soft, almost mushy.

That was three or four days ago... now the leaves on the smaller stalk are feeling very thin and a couple of them have dark brown spots which feel very soft and thin.

I need help! What did I do? Is it over watering? Was it too hot on the deck? Too cold? I just don't know. HELP!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ClarkKent; Apr 17th, 2015 at 02:53 AM.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
OH MY !! It looks to me as if your plant has been sunburned.
here is some information that I have found.

â—¾Take the plant back inside and put it in a bright area
â—¾Lay off the water
â—¾Cut the bad, burnt or torched leaves off
◾Keep the soil moist but not wet… Roots could have become damaged from the heat. Any extra moisture can cause the roots problems. (root rot)
â—¾DO NOT ADD ANY FERTILIZER!

Be prepared for a long wait before your plant comes back to health. It all depends on how bad the plant was damaged.

If after a long while it does not come back, as you would like, you may have to consider getting rid of it. I myself lost several holiday cactus by setting them out in the direct sun.(on the west side of my house).
Unless one is using a shaded protected area, I think it is best to set out a plant in stages to acclimate it to its new surroundings.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
OP Offline
Thanx juniegirl. .. it's now inside, bad leaves have all been cut back and I noticed it is a little damp... have it under some cfl lights to help it dry out a bit. Hope it helps. Thanx again for the advice!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
If it is a bit damp, (I assume you mean the leaves) why not take a soft cotton cloth & dry it some? I think I would. Just be very gentle.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
OP Offline
No, I mean the soil is a little damp. It is not "muddy" just a little moist... I don't think it is too wet and it seems to be drying alright. Like I said, I have cut back the damaged foliage and so far so good. I don't see anymore spots or wilting leaves. Think I may have caught it in time to save it. Thanx again.

Last edited by ClarkKent; Apr 17th, 2015 at 11:45 PM.
Yep, JunieGirl is right. Corn Plants don't like bright light.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image