Print Thread
Rate Thread
#386499 Feb 26th, 2015 at 08:36 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
So, with out looking it up on the internet, I thought to just come here & ask.

I thought that Squirrels hibernated ? If that is the case, why were there 2 in my bird feeders yesterday & today ??? My Dh says that they need to eat too (the squirrels) & while this is true, they hid food all fall & my birds did not. Not to mention the fact that squirrels are destructive to my feeders.

But moving on, I have a large feeder with 2 end caps for suet cakes, and then 2 very large pot trays on the ground to accommodate the ground feeders and also to make sure that the cardinals & such have access to sunflower seeds. It is fun to watch them eat when the squirrels are not around.
My beautiful finch feeder must have somehow taken on water, and the finch seed got impacted and no matter what I try, I cannot get it cleaned out, so the finches are having to make do with what they can get out of the wild feeders. My next trip to town I will be buying a new finch feeder for them.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Squirrels don't hibernate in my area and they aggravate me to know end. We have 15 pecan trees so they have plenty of nuts but they will tear up a bird seed feeder if they get the chance.

The seed gets clogged in my finch feeders too so I just knock it around and get out as much as I can before filling it up again. I have a feeling if you buy a new one the same thing will happen.

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well apparently MY squirrels do not hibernate either. rolz

Thanks Sheri, You are probably right on the finch seed feeder, but while it is so very cute, I have better luck with the cheap plastic tube ones. I do think I will keep this feeder and perhaps the summer sun can help me clean it out.

and FYI: I think the whole first layer of perches are clogged...so for now, a new feeder it will be.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image