Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#385829 Jan 14th, 2015 at 12:45 PM
comfrey Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
I have a pregnant onion, I have managed to keep it alive. My mother gave me a few of here bulbs before she died in 2008. I have never been able to get nice leaves on it. Last summer I moved it outside for the first time and I remebered my mom would set her pot in the shade outdoors each summer. So I put mine on the porch where it was shady, the 2 leaves did get a little wider and alot longer (too long)does someone know what I need to do to get more then 3 leaves and to make them thicker (wider)and not so long leaves. I have gotten a few babies which I moved to another pot. I going to post a picture, but photobucket doesn't seem to be loading right now, so will post picture later.

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Comfrey
My pregnant onions or walking Egyptian onions are outdoors in zone 5, here.. They multiply like rabbits......

If your in need let me know .. I been sharing them a long long time an everyones grow outside.

d

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
comfrey Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Here's the picture:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
comfrey Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
I have mutipling onions in a garden bed...This is an old fashion house plant

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
ok

Guess its different.
Hope it soon revives.. Probably needs light or sun?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
comfrey Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Okay I just read this:

It is an easy and adaptable plant to grow and it is well suited for containers growing happily in a pot for many years. It makes a good but odd houseplant or specimen. Prefers some direct sun but will scorch in hot, sunny, dry locations. In the greenhouse, use a suffice cactus soil with some peat (a soil that retains water yet drains well). The plants are allowed to dry slightly in-between waterings. If the plants are allowed to dry too much, they will go dormant. During the winter months, the plants are allowed to go dormant and are stored in the cold storage until spring. Temperature: Reportedly hardy down to -5°C.

So maybe I need to let it go dormant during the winter, my mom always keep her's on her sun porch in the winter (just like a house plant) and outdoors in the shade during the summer months. Putting mine out during the summer did make the leaves wider and longer, so putting the pot outside did help. But there has to be something else I need to be doing.

Here is how I want mine to look or simular:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Those leaves look like they are chopped off. Mine are not leafy-est plants. But they are big and healthy and producing babies.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
comfrey Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Mine have produced babies I removed some and placed in another pot...Do you think it would hurt the plant if I cut back the long leaves on mine that just flop over, I would like to have the curled leaves???? What about plant food, think that might help?

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I truly do not know, Comfrey. Mine are in the ground and just doing what comes naturally. They have naturally floppy leaves, and very few of them. They were never grown for beauty but for their interesting habits.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image