Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning, another freezing cold day here as well....worse part is that I have to make a quick grocery run when DH comes home from work. Another major snowstorm for us tomorrow again.

I made a homemade spaghetti sauce yesterday for supper...I could live on pasta.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
GLAD YOU get out to get the groceries..
Sure is a rough life there..........But you were born an raised there an was wondering how we do it??

Good luck.. We have 20º now rain an snow
2maro it will be 50..........Weeeeeee love that.

Still fighting a weeks worth of a bad cold.

Last edited by dodge; Jan 2nd, 2015 at 10:46 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. Still too cold for my liking. I would like it to warm up some and rain. My bones want the warmth.
I will go out to shop this morning. Making a list. I could live on pasta as well, Sunny. Or nearly. It is the base of quite a few of my meals. That or potatoes.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tina...I meant to say the other day...I have posted many things on here and nope they are not there later..I too wonder what is up with that.

Then there is this crazy computer..I have no idea WHAT button I am hitting but. when I am typing up a post, all of a sudden the whole thing is gone...and I have to start over...

I could live on pasta...but IF I really had my way I would live on soup, with occasionally having roasted veggies or meat.

BUT Rod does not care for soup, so regular meals are the norm here. Lucky for me he loves pastas of any sort.

Still raining here...luckily it is in the low 40's.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I banked, I shopped, I stopped to pay a bill, And we are over 2K broker than we were when I woke this morning. But so grateful I can do all of that.
I spent $200 just on groceries. And did not get everything on my list. I kept getting distracted by sales. Like today they had chicken thighs for 99 cents a pound. I loaded up. Just telling my daughter how it is sad that wings, livers and such are more expensive than the meaty parts. It used to save me a bundle buying beef tongue and heart. I guess it is gourmet stuff now because the prices are just under filet.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
about the meat prices. I know...
When I was a sweet young thing, I remember going to the grocery & the butcher would just charge me a nominal fee, just to say he wasn't giving the meat away when I would ask for Chicken livers. The same went for soup bones & necks & such...not that way any more. I pay a set price per pound---bone or meat---it is just crazy...

I know I am old, but I remember Porterhouse Steaks being $1.29 a pound & that was a ridiculous amount to pay for a meal....

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I remember bread at 15 cents a loaf. I used to feed my family of 3 kids and a couple of foster kids on $200 a month. I miss those prices sometimes. But understand that everything is more expensive for farmers and truckers and everyone that gets that food to our tables. So I am grateful that we can eat.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I remember taking a 50 cent piece into the drug store & buying a gallon of milk & have a few pennies change. I remember bread that was 25 cents a loaf buying a 25 cent ice cream cone that was so big I could not eat it all, and many more.
Some of the price increases I understand, but some I just have to wonder about.
Soon we will all be vegetarians if the price increases continue...and I will go back to a larger garden.

I am finally off to bed. G'nite & sweet dreams everyone.

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Jeepers with the price of meat and produce here we are soon going to have to turn into anorexics. Fruit prices in Winter are worse than the meat prices. They have stopped selling animal hearts, livers and such here for years...no inside organs at all.

My BIL next to me and my SIL behind me had their pipes freeze up already...it's with these temps that I am grateful for a small house that's easier to heat.

Our snowstorm has started through the night.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning.
Sunny, I know how blessed I am with fruit and vegetables prices and availability. And with frozen pipes, for that matter. Keep safe in your storms.
It is warmer here today. And supposed to improve throughout the week. My bones are rejoicing. I will strip beds and do that laundry.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
we had pipes freeze at "the farm" back when we lived there...Rod finally put that heat tape on them & would plug it in when the temps were predicted to get below freezing. And we kept all doors to the sinks open at night. Both those together seems to work well for us. With the basement under us here we do not have such problems.

About the fruit. With just the 2 of us, I buy so little that I just keep the amount I spend to a reasonable amount. If I worried about the price per pound, I would make myself crazy I am sure...

I wish everyone a good Sunday.

________

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts

Well I know I wrote a post last night but guess it went to wherever the disappearing posts go.... cue twilight zone music... LOL!

I am heading to grocery store today too.. after we shovel again... our inch of snow turned into 3 or so during the night... and it is 10* right now... but supposed to get up to 37* so hoping that trend continues and we warm up some too... did get all the Christmas stuff put away yesterday finally- one of my Rubbermaid containers has big hole in it so got to find a new one and replace it... will use old one as a container garden in the spring I think...just put a few more holes in it for drainage... maybe actually grown a tomato or 2 that taste like real tomatos..

Joe has to replace Joseph's battery today- they went and bought one yesterday for his car.. when they took it out it was dated 2003.. no wonder it died! they still don't believe it lasted as long as it did... he is off till tomorrow so need to get it done today... school for little boys will start again Tues... so we may take them to the Hobbit today or tonit...

I started my closet clean out too... really need to empty it altogether and only put back what I really want.... did fill one bag with stuff... and realized I can't find our hair clippers... they are probably at Carrie's .. hope so ...

Well off to get some breakfast and get the show started.... can't be a busy day unless I get busy!

Nana

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
We are all as busy as ever, aren't we?

A good foot of snow has fallen and it seems never ending...I need to get out and move some of it around. Tomorrow and the next day is supposed to be so cold that they cancelled school already. Kids get frostbite waiting for the bus.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am glad they are keeping your kids safe, Sunny. I know it tacks on snow days or shortens some vacations here. But safety is so important. Be careful out moving snow.
I have not gotten done all that I set out to do this morning. But it has not been a wasted day either. So I'll take it. Making dinner now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Sorry for all the snow you are getting ladies. It snowed here today, but thankfully non of it stuck. That is surprising as it is so very cold & windy here. 19*F here right now. one of the next 2 evenings it is supposed to get down to 1*F, or so I hear...I do not even want to guess what the wind chill is supposed to be.

Keep warm everyone.

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Keep warm everyone. And sweet dreams.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Thanks, I am keeping warm...I have no plans to venture outside for a few days if need be. I did get the driveway cleaned, the East side of the house banked and the windows shoveled out on the West side.

It is supposed to hit minus -40*F tonight with the wind chill boohoo

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning.
That is much too cold, Sunny. I am trying to imagine it but I freeze just thinking about it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good Morning everyone.

I agree with Tina. I shale with the cold, just thinking about that kind of cold. I feel bad jut complaining about 1*F..Shame on me...

I woke and am now having coffee. At some point I must go out to the post office..but other than that I intend to stay indoors today. BRRRRRRR

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I feel particularly bad about the cold weather everywhere else today because we are pretty warm. Last week in the 20's at night and last night the low was 60*.
I am getting stuff done around here. I do need to pay my phone bill today. It didn't get done in the shuffle the other day. But neither is it late.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well the good thing about cold weather is it will not last forever--even if it feels like that at the time.

I have turkey parts in the slow cooker to make soup for myself and I have beef hash in mind for supper tonight. My day is rolling along.

I do have to go to the post office. I think I will do that in the afternoon, It should be a bit warmer by then..I hope.

________

Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
kilroy Good morning! Happy Monday, too! There is some major flooding going on in western Washington today. Luckily, most is occurring to the north and south of us (so far) but they warn about possible landslides happening. The snow level is at 3000 ft. and its currently 52° here, but the freezing level will go up to 9000 ft. later this afternoon with high winds. It should be an interesting afternoon... fidget

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Keep safe Bill....I have been watching the news, the weather is so confusing everywhere.

I ended up going out after all....of course today would be the day that the doctor I wanted to see finally had some cancellations. I called in a favor for a babysitter for grandgirl. I am glad to be back home.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am glad that you are back home as well, Sunny.
Keep safely tucked into your hillside, Bill.
I am glad you mentioned your crockpot, Carol. I want to tuck some stuff into mine. I'm thinking a potato chowder with bacon. Even though it is not cold out, it will be cool enough to enjoy a hot meal.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Glad that I could be of service, Tina. I LOVE potato soup. Enjoy some for me. thumbup

Sunny, so glad that everything worked out for you. Getting a Drs. appt. out of the way is always a good thing.

Bill..Please keep safe. I hope the landslides miss your area all together.

I went out to the Post office as well. When I returned I brought in my lilac bush off of the porch. It is in a big pot--waiting for my DD to move to a house they think they will be staying at. This bush is a start I brought with me from "the farm" where she had planted a white lilac bush that she bought in her freshman year of college when she was missing home. I have nursed it along all of these 10+ years we have lived here.

________

Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
We are flooded in, but it nothing major and the road should be passable by morning. There was a fairly bad mud slide down on the county road, but luckily it is only covering one lane and won't affect traveling to town. clap

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Well, as long as you & yours are safe, then that is good. I hope it is safe for you to pass in the morning as you think it will be. Thanks for checking in. It is nice to know so we do not worry. winky

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, I am glad you checked in, Bill. I have been looking at a lot of the flooding happening up your way. Washington is washing away.
Well, Carol, I never got as far as souping the taters. I cooked potatoes and bacon with some onions and peppers and that is as far as it got. We ate those tonight. There is leftovers so I can continue on with the chowder part tomorrow.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
That sounds SO yummy, Tina. I will have to move on to potato soup once I eat all of the turkey soup that I made today.

I think tomorrow I will go buy some Quinoa to put in it. Not that I know what it tastes like, but as it is healthy for me to eat......

off to get into the bath right now---see you guys later.

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Quinoa is good. Mild. But do rinse it before cooking. The seed coats can be bitter without rinsing.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks for the tip, Tina. It is much appreciated.

I just finished watching a documentary about The Chateau Carolands. 98 rooms in Hillsborough, CA....WOW. Some people are ever so fortunate to be able to live in such as that, HUH ??

I am soon off to bed.

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I would not want to try to keep a house like that clean.
Sweet dreams everyone.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
I would not want to try to keep a house like that clean.

me either, but the way I look at it is....IF you could afford to buy it & live there, then you have enough $$ to hire it cleaned & maintained...Right ??? why

Sleep well...G'nite wavy

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning.

Thanks for checking in Bill.

Tina, I could use some hot soup right now. It is so cold that my windows have iced up and that is with our wood stove filled to the brim. With these temps of minus 40 with the wind, it seems you just can't keep the heat going good enough.

The storm was so bad that they had to call in a contractor with an industrial blower, the government snow plows couldn't bust through the drifts. This was the worst storm of the Season so far.

I'm glad I don't have that 98 room chateau...there's no way the maid could make it to work in the morning grin

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good Morning !! breakfast

Sunny...I am SO very sorry for the cold. BUT then glad that someone had the foresite to call in help when it was needed.

Sunny if you had a 98 room chateau, the "help" would be living in. (yep, there were servants quarters in this "house"

I am soon off to ceramics.

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. It is funny. I have never yearned for a mansion or anything like. My first thought is always the energy and expense of upkeep. I am just a natural cheapskate, I guess. Or practical.
Sunny, I think of you often every time I put more wood in my stove. Or put a jacket on indoors to try to warm up.
I will not be climbing on my roof today. It is much too windy. I do need to run to the grocery store for some fresh food stuffs.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Back from the store. One of the things I really wanted was the chicken thighs for 99 cents a pound. I picked up about ten pounds. and am packaging them for the freezer at 5 per bag. So plenty of dinners are residing in there. I also picked up sweet italian sausages turkey ones) and some thin sliced steaks. Thin is not my favorite steak cut but they work well for soups or stews and at $3 a pound.....
We have some leafy stuff and fruits and veggies enough to cover the next week. Life is good.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm a practical cheapskate too...and there is no shame in admitting it. thumbup

That's a great deal on meats Tina...glad you have plenty on hand.

I did manage to score some Christmas cards online at Walmart at 80% off...I ordered enough to do 3 years and still only spend under $5. Next week I am hoping to score some more deals at our local pharmacy...on Monday all wrapping paper and such is going on 75% off.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Our stores have unloaded Christmas already. There are some Valentines things out. Pushing one commercial thing after another.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
uhuhh OK, lets see if I've got all of this right....

The current mayor of Irvington, NJ has been accused of rape by a female employee

A recently promoted, female police captain attempts to rundown a councilman hours after being promoted by the alleged rapist-mayor.

The accused mayor-rapist stands by the promotion based on the new police captain"s record with the force. (which includes an investigation by the Essex County Prosecutor"s Office where TWO Internal Affairs Investigators claimed the soon-to-be police captain & the current police chief “ROUTINELY ordered them to alter reports and bring unwarranted disciplinary charges against certain officers.”)

The current police chief is under investigation and has been for a while for dozens of other administrative charges, including misuse of power and misconduct.

tapfoot

Hmmmmm....

The mayor became mayor and allegedly committed rape during his first year in office.

In one day, the captain became captain and was arrested and charged with aggravated assault, stalking, harassment, criminal mischief and multiple weapon charges after trying to run down the city councilman.

The chief of police is currently under investigation for numerous criminal charges.

God only knows what else is going on over there, but with an alleged rapist, alleged stalker and a criminal in charge, I really pity the people of this city!

kilroy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image