Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Coogie Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Gardeners Forum,

I'm new to the whole planting thing. I have 7 seeds from an amazing Siracusa/Femminello St. Teresa/Sorrento Lemon (whatever the real name may be). Basically, I brought back two lemons from Sorrento, Italy and have started to grow them in a large pot outside my apartment.

Everything has been wonderful with them the last two months. They've grown (between 1 1/2 inch to 2 1/2 inch in height with bloomed leaves) due to a lot of rain we've had in Houston and they love the humidity here. The last few days I've been coming home to my largest (of my four growing) with a half eaten leaf. I didn't pay much attention... I just water these little ones. I haven't put any pesticide. Yesterday evening, we had a ridiculous storm. I leave this morning and all my little guys are missing leaves. Can lemon trees continue to grow without leaves?

While inspecting them tonight, I noticed that there was a caterpillar (of unknown species) roaming around my pot and I panicked. I pulled it out and ran to the computer to find some solutions. What I did do was:
1) Get warm water mixed with dish soap to cover my baby trees from being completely eaten to the roots.
2) I then busted out my citrus tree feed and spread it around the top of the soil and watered the area.
3) Sprayed the trees again with a bit of soapy water.

I really am out of my element here -- are these trees too far gone to rescue?

Last edited by Coogie; Aug 12th, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I do not know. Do not spray the dish detergent on them again for awhile though. It can actually burn a plant. Do spray it on the soil. That may help any soil bugs from hatching and growing.
Are they missing all of their leaves?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I was thinking it may well be the caterpillar. Did you look the rest of the plant over to see if other caterpillars are there. if so remove them.
I think I would water the plant, then spray the soil with the soapy water. THEN let the dirt dry out for a week or more to make sure any flying pests larvae will die. Some pests like moist conditions to live..

and/OR I guess you could do 1 of 2 things.
1) You could put a cutting from the plant in water to get it to root. (as a safty measure ) & go from there..(My grandma always put a pinch of african violet food in her water when rooting a plant.)
OR
2) you could take the plant outside, remove the pant/dirt from it's pot, spray off the plant and the roots, & examine the roots to see if they are healthy and viable, & then repot in new good soil. And also thoroughly wash the pot with soapy warm water & rinse well.

Some plants will grow new leaves when there are none at all & some will not--but why not try to see if your plant will grow some.

if I find anything else that will help I will let you know.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in November
Gardening in December
Gardening in January

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,787
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,005
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image