Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#37092 May 3rd, 2007 at 04:47 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
rose of Sharon? Started from seed - germinated and grew very easily. It's been out in the sunroom for a while now, then out on the deck. I've got 8 of them and a few of them have leaves that are white and kinda 'crispy'.
[Linked Image]

PattyM
ND farm girl #37778 May 4th, 2007 at 06:05 PM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Where they by a too bright light source?
Or by a heater vent?
Or allowed to dry out???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
weezie13 #37814 May 4th, 2007 at 06:56 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
patty, weezie's questions are good, and this is the right spot to ask the question!

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Wheeze -
no
no
and
no

PattyM
ND farm girl #38283 May 5th, 2007 at 06:32 PM
The plant probably wasn't getting enough light indoors once it developed its second set of leaves. I see the seeds leaves (first set)are still attached. It is common for them to dry up and fall off. The plant looks to have been stretching toward light. The best source of indoor light is 1/100th of what sunlight is.

Were the plants hardened off before going out to stay on the deck? Even woody perennials need a wind free area to harden off.

Does the planting medium contain fertilizer? I am not a fan of placing new seedlings in a medium with fertilizer. Especially if the fertilizer is high in nitrogen. Makes the leaves grow at the expense of the root system which isn't mature enough to keep everything going.

herbalyn #38284 May 5th, 2007 at 06:36 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I had them indoors under flourescent lights - very close - keeping the light only 2 inches above the plants. Didn't move them out to the sunroom to harden off until they were quite tall, then moved them outdoors to the deck.

Fertilizer - not sure. I bought some potting mix without fertilizer, my husband picked me up some and that had fertilizer in it. Could have something to do with that then?

Thanks.

PattyM
ND farm girl #38331 May 5th, 2007 at 07:45 PM
seedlings started indoors need grow light bulbs. They are available in a bulb or the more useful tub. Anything other than a grow light is inadequate once the seed embryo pushes thru the soil and the seed leaves open.

Is your sunroom a all year room or more like an unheated breezeway? Are the windows Low-E or otherwise treated to repel the light spectrun from the sun that makes plants grow and carpet fade? Once you removed the plants from your light set-up what they got was not adequate. Put thin sticks in future plants and the minute the plant stem is out of line with the stick its lighting is not right.

When the fourth true leaf was out the growing tip could have been pinched out. That makes the plant bushy rather than a tall thin skyscraper. Roots don't spend so much energy getting "supplies" up that tall stem.

You no doubt hear stories where gardeners take a outdoor plant inside for the winter and all the leaves proceed to fall off. The plant needed to be acclimated to going indoors. The reverse is true for spring seedlings going from indoors to outside. Its a process of a week or two depending on fickle spring temps.

That's why it's important for gardeners buying seedlings or bedding plants to ask if the item has been hardened off. Don't assume because a plant is sitting out its been hardened off.

Don't let injured leaves remain on a plant. Clip them off as you see them. If the stem and upper leaves are healthy on the few damaged plants give the stem a support, let 4 good leaves grow, then start pinching out the top. You might end up with a standard rose of Sharon Tree.

Last edited by herbalyn; May 5th, 2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image