Print Thread
Rate Thread
#36623 May 3rd, 2007 at 03:47 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Early last night around 6pm we had 75~ 85 mile an hour winds and rains . Electricity is still out in many areas of the metroplex , flipped over small airplanes, uprotted 100 yr old trees ,and well~ just general damage, WE're expecting more rains, so I can't get out and start the clean up. I did start picking things up and remembered to take Pics.
I'm on my way to work now but will load pictures when I get home tonight.
My electricity didn't some back on until about 1am.
I reallllly don't like being here alone when this kind of thing goes on, Dwight was at work as I found out later His job had lost power too.
Patio chairs were " dancing" around in the winds, I have noo idea where the cushions to the chairs are Probably in a neighbors yard. My garden flowers are completely layed down and under 4 inches of water in some area, the garden 'arch' is completely distroyed. I had plants that are no longer in the yard at all I only have empty pots, yet some things were not disturbed at all Wierd, touched.
I've got to get to work I'll post a couple of pictures later

Ohhh And a part of the rock tower fell apart, and a couple of willys were tossed about and broken boohoo tears I found one willy on the opposite side of the yard shock at the same time some of the wee willys stayed in place~ Strange!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry, what a discouraging thing to have happen.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Oh no!i hope you find all your stuff and broken things are fixable. Heres a medic for the Wllys[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That is so sad. Really says something about the way we have damaged the environment doesn't it...all this weird weather.

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
prayers

That is sad to see all that damage.

I hate those floods......I am on top of the hill and still get water damage at times.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #36859 May 3rd, 2007 at 07:21 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
DIANE! kissie I'm soooooooooo sorry you had such horrendous weather and the damage!!! shock
Too sad to think about! tears I'm glad that YOU are safe and sound though thumbup -
I know that you will be able to salvage anything that is left, and build it back up to be as beautiful as ever! flwr

If you need anything, please let me know - I've still got lots of seeds, and even some bulbs.
A few Willy's too, that I've been saving for just the right occassion... :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #36860 May 3rd, 2007 at 07:25 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
shock o man diane! thats horable, all the hard work you put into your gardens, and your poor willys!
kissie to you!

[Linked Image]
dodge #36861 May 3rd, 2007 at 07:25 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
oooops - double post - please remove, hostesses?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
The Electicity is off at work so the boss sent us home . However he just called and now it's back on again to I have to go back to work ARRRRRGH!!!

Here are a couple of pictures of damage,, SHooot I really wanted to stay home and access the damage !

rose garden arch is layed down...
spring%20storm%20damage/2007_0502Image0022.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Patio furniture got tossed around,, I heard on the news this morning we had catagory 1 tornados in my neighborhood, but because we had hurricane winds and rains, the funnel clouds weren't spotted so the sirens didn't go off. once again the devils back bone plant took a beating it's layed down and uprooted
spring%20storm%20damage/2007_0502Image0063.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
continued.....

This flowerbed on the entire side of the yard 90% of the flowers are layed down and was underwater, and the soil supporting the root systems on many of them is washed away

spring%20storm%20damage/2007_0502Image0017.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Awwwww...angelblossom that looks so sad I could sit and cry with you. tears tears

Sure hope you can fix most of the damage. Not much you can do with weather like that. nervous

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
#36983 May 3rd, 2007 at 11:02 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
that's such a shame!!! i'm glad no tornado actually went through your house & yard tho!! musta been one pretty close by tho - which is SO scary!!!

anyhoo - yes, there's a lot of damage. i'm sure most of it is repairable. and it's early enough in the season that most of the plants (even those where the soil washed away) will have time to recuperate once you get them firmly replanted in soil again!

if you need more portulaca seeds, let me know! i still have some left!

Zone 6b
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Awww Diane! tears That looks so bad. I'm glad it wasn't worse though....Tornados are a scary thing!

I'd be panicking if I were home alone during that!

Ohhh And a part of the rock tower fell apart, and a couple of willys were tossed about and broken

Can you fix them? tears

#37031 May 3rd, 2007 at 01:45 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Once again, Diane, I'm so sorry you had such awful weather!
Looks like you have your work cut out for a while, but I know you will have everything looking just wonderful again!

Wish I could be there to help...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thank you all for your compassion and sweet offers of seeds and bulbs kissie
I just did a glance around the yard Can't go out because it's raining again and another tornado watch. uhuhh
Guess I'll have to wait until the weekend to really get after it outside and start building beds back up! I did find my "running willy" But he got hurt ~ I borrowed Wrennies Medics notme More about him in the DIY rocktower thread.. I think what bothers me most about all of this is I forgot to charge the portable TV/radio, sooo I had no way of getting any weather reports I simply thought it was raining hard with gusty winds ..

[b]Lesson learned: Always Have radio's and TV's charged in Storm season!!!! Just incase of power outages!![/b]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
tears Diane I am so sorry this sure made a mess out of your beautiful yard.

Just so everyone knows the photo's Diane posted of her yard and flower before the storm did not go near doing it justice I have not seen a prettier yard then hers was before the storm. I am sure it looks a lot worse now after the storm then her photo's show. She has put in tons of back breaking work on her yard. It will come back like I told you I have seeds and plants your welcome to just tell me which ones and they are yours. Diane's area had 100 mph straight winds as well as some twisters per the Radio and TV news.

Last edited by Jimmy V; May 3rd, 2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added info

[Linked Image]
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops!

Jimmy's Blog
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
kissie i'm so sorry diane that you had this, but i'm confident that it will be better when you are finished fixing it!

#37249 May 3rd, 2007 at 08:14 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
I'm so sorry Diane!!! I did not realize you were being hit with all of this!!! I sympathize with how upset you must be!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thanks Friends kissie Shoot I really wanted to get out there today but again it's raining!! uhuhh

Please God save some of this rain for the summer when we're really going to need it!! prayers

Well Saturday rain or shine I'm going to get out there, thumbup Geeeeez

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
Diane, I'm so sorry to hear of your disaster. That's terrible. Sounds like you had a mini hurricane or tornado there. We were supposed to get 65 mph winds last night from the news reporters in the am. By the time evening came, they had changed their forecast. It's the same storm you had last night that was headed this way. We are getting lots of rain right now. We had a horrible lightening storm with rains at 2:00 am. Anything I can do, let me know. I know those Willy's will make their way back home.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Awww Thanks Stephanie kissie

I was wondering about your area when the News cast said it was head east into Louisianna. Well One of the good things from all this rain ~ We can collect rain water for our pitcher plants!!! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Loz~~~~~ I was cleaning up the storm damage today ANd yes about 1/2 of each flower section is gone and I had to cut a rose bush waaaaaaaaaay back. But in the mist of all the work I believe I have a bloom of the Touch me not's seeds you sent me!! !! I had planted your seeds, had it labeled and posted in the same area!! The plant label stake is gone and all of these were layed down and pretty much uprooted, and some washed away BUT~~~~~~~ I couldn't believe when I was lifting them up and adding new soil and mulch I found this bloom hidden under debri,,!!! Boy oh Boy a silver lining to an other wise cloudy situation!!! I'm sooo hoping this is your seeds Loz!!!!
Here is a pic not a clear one sorry But look at the leaves and stem damage, ohhhh but the blooms shines on!
[Linked Image]

Over all cleanup and whats left . I feel blessed to have recovered this much .. spring is still young right?

[Linked Image]

this next pic was about 10 days or so before the storm!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#38234 May 5th, 2007 at 03:12 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Triss that is just that particular area . I have many wide bare spots where seeds where only up about four inches or so , I have plenty of seeds to start replacing I'm sooooo glad I only used 1/2 packets of seeds.
Lynne's cleome seeds she sent me didn't budge, or Tk's seeds she sent me, or Loz's seeds or Michael's sunflower!!

Ohh and Triss Wanna know something weird?? Some of the sedum You and Wrennie gave me that I did put in ground are still there!! I don't get it they are shallow root sedums why they didn't get washed away?? I don't know~ they sure held on!!!! Strange how some were up rooted while others held on and all the ones that did get washed away or uprooted were ones I planted a couple of years ago, and the ones from GH family stood firm!! Just goes to show GH friends roots are strong and will withstand the strength of storms everytime in everyway!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#38245 May 5th, 2007 at 03:35 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That is them Diane! thumbup They reseed in my yard like crazy every year too! thumbup

It's so sad seeing all the damage you've had.

#38254 May 5th, 2007 at 03:54 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
That is them Diane! thumbup

OHHHHHH Yay!!!! clap another one that withstood the storm!!!!! Thanks for confirming Loz kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Diane... while I'm sure the rest of your yard still has areas to be rebuilt, you are doing a wonderful job of piecing things back together! There is still lots of time this spring and summer, for your plants to make a terrific comeback. Especially being nurtured by you!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
awwwww Thanks Lynne!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image