Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I just bought a short sale home in phoenix Arizona and am struggling in the extreme heat to get things to recover from a very neglected state. I did have a "volunteer" that was crowded out by weeds that had since recovered and I identified as an orange jubilee bush growing near my pool pump and it was doing well until... disaster struck. The pool pump sprang a leak and emptied all its contents of the 50+ gallon drum into the root area of the struggling start up.

The plant is still alive, barely. It has brown spots near the end of the leaves that look exactly like the common salt burn we get here. However, I think it is chemical burns from the spent chlorine from the pool water? After the plant showed stress and I realized there was likely residual chemicals at the roots I did just do a deep watering (3 hours drip) in hopes that it would flush any remaining chemicals away. However, this plant is desert adapted and is not going to be happy about too much water either... What, if anything, can I do to help this plant survive?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome Az_newbie. It sounds like you are doing all that you can. At least short of digging it up and washing the roots and potting it for awhile. Until you are sure that the chemicals are completely leached. I would allow the soil to dry a bit then water again heavily. I would also cut it back hard this winter to encourage new growth that is undamaged.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Well I also suffered from this problem because the chemicals which we use for fresh water in swimming pool they effects on plants. So you have to change the soil also around the plant to make the plant again alive.

Originally Posted by Carl A. Huffman
Well I also suffered from this problem because the chemicals which we use for fresh water in above ground pools they effects on plants. So you have to change the soil also around the plant to make the plant again alive.

Any views?

Last edited by Carl A. Huffman; May 19th, 2014 at 07:08 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image