Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#381550 Apr 9th, 2014 at 12:06 AM
OP Offline
Hi,

Three months ago I started my new job in an office setting, in doing so I was given the care of three office plants. I have no knowledge of where they came from, what soil they are in, or if they were ever fed.

Peace lily- When I first arrived it was under watered, never misted, and had lots of browned leaves. Since taking over the care I water it about once a week, usually when the leaves start to droop and I mist it as well. I haven't fed it, but am thinking of picking up some fertilzer and hopefully getting help with the cost. I have pruned it, taking off the leaves with the worst amount of browning and those that were almost to the ground and would not perk back up. So far under my care it has gained about seven new leaves.

Pothos(I think)- Seemed to have been forgotten tucked away on a drawer. Had some dead leaves on it. Though now has grown a lot since the last three months is on the verge of draping off the drawer. Seems to be in the best shape out of the three. I water it when the soil is slightly dry on top.

Cat Palm- Its in the worst shape and is the first thing everyone sees that walks in the door. All leaves had browned tips and the plant itself is tilted to a side. To make it seem a little more presentable I did trip off all of the browned edges. One morning I walked in and two or three large stems had given way, broke and toppled to the ground. I water when the soil feels dry on top, also mist when I water it.

What can I do to further help these plants thrive? What kind of fertilzer should I look into? Am I caring for them correctly. Does the cat palm need repotted?

(As soon as I figure out how to apply images I will)

walkerkali #381578 Apr 10th, 2014 at 02:17 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Pothos an peace lily should survive with minimum care. Water once a week.
Palm may need to say good by

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
walkerkali #381738 Apr 18th, 2014 at 05:23 AM
Peace Lily - Easy plant, you can even restore a plant close to death in time. Very tough indoors. Keep doing what you are doing as it seems to be working if you're getting that many new leaves! Maybe look to water a little sooner though, as waiting until the leaves "flop" will result in more brown tips in the long term.

Pothos - Another easy plant. Very very tough! Great climber too, maybe you could train it to grow over the desk to act as a design piece. grin

Never heard of a Cat Palm before, but according to Wikipedia -
Cat Palms require high light for indoor house plants. The suggested minimum temperature is 4.5°C (40°F). They are particularly susceptible to dry soil, and water must be applied regularly. Fertilizer should be applied every one or two months

Last edited by houseplant_addict; Apr 18th, 2014 at 05:25 AM.
walkerkali #381940 Apr 25th, 2014 at 03:18 AM
Put an earthworm or 2 in each planter. And put dead leaf matter in the planters for the earthworms to feed on. When they go to the 'little earthworm's room', they're happy, plant is happy, everybody is happy.

If light is scant, put sugar in the plant's water. Sugar BARELY to taste, almost UN-tasteable; it will take photosynthesis workload off of leaves that have little light. Not too much sugar - bacteria can grow if too much.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image