Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I had planned my garden out on paper but in my further reading on this site as well as some other basic plant information... I am so new to gardening... I need to change my lay out based on the soil types and watering needs.

I really do not mind doing the leg work on this one at all, in fact it is kind of exciting figuring everything out.

I have quite the variety this year and I am a little out of my comfort zone.

I have:

Tomatoes (Roma, pineapple heirloom, yellow pear, and some random ones I had saved that were green)
Cucumbers
Lemon Cucumbers
Cantaloupe
Celery
Watermelon
summer squash (golden zucchini and black beauty)
Green Beans (Vine)
Beets
Lettuces
Spinach
Sunflowers
Bell peppers (which I failed to start the correct way sadly)
Radish
Green onions
Thyme
Dill bouquet
Mustard
sage
oregano
summer savory
garlic chives
basil
parsley
sweet majoram
chives
cilantro
English lavender

THIS IS HUGE for me compared to last years Beans, tomatoes, squash, lettuce, spinach in a 3x4 garden....

I am trying to rely more on my garden and my skills then the grocery store...

Can you tell me what soil types these are or how much water they need (the ones you are familiar with growing well.
I am planning to do a lot of my herbs in pots or containers so I can move them indoors if needed. I am also planning on harvesting a lot of my seeds (I did this last year and so far so good with the exception of my squash).
Thank you all in advance. I have a feeling I am going to be posting quite a bit on here.

If I traveled to the end of the rainbow As Dame Fortune did intend, Murphy would be there to tell me The pot's at the other end.
OP Offline
ps. being in zone 9 should I be planting celery?
I wish I could edit my post. I would like your tips and tricks to help me out I am figuring out the plant preferences.

If I traveled to the end of the rainbow As Dame Fortune did intend, Murphy would be there to tell me The pot's at the other end.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Celery is a cooler weather crop and needs quite a bit of water. I have never been successful with it. Beets are also cooler weather.
Do you plan on canning any of this? That is a lot of food to eat in a single season.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Celery and Beets will be left for the cooler season. I do realize this seems like a lot but we are also a family of 6 and will be feeding 2-3 other families of 3 or more people. I do plan on canning as well. It definitely will not be going to waste. I will also be saving my seeds for next year.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Sharing the wealth of a garden is a good thing. Has any of this been planted yet? Or seeds started indoors? How is it going?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
I started my seeds from last season indoors all but my bell peppers which I started only 1 to an egg holder (rookie mistake) and my squash, they didn't want to grow .... I bought some more squash (I am almost certain that the seeds were dead... Everything is growing well (I started them April 12th). I am still working on my raised bed and it is motivation to get my bed up and running. I also started cantaloupes to make sure the seeds were viable (I ordered them on amazon for a really decent price but I am unsure on weather or not they will be good (which is why I started indoors). I am currently soaking my Sweet Marjoram this will be in a portable container due to our weather here. I started about 6 beans inside and 6 spinach although I know that they prefer not to be transplanted. I wanted to try my luck with transplanting (I did these in biodegradable egg cartons) I am hoping that they will survive the transplant based on this. I love being able to share my garden wealth with people. My neighbors and I try to stagger growing periods and crops that way we do not have too much of one thing. My parents and younger brother, in-laws, cousins and one aunt will be benefiting as well. They also have gardens so it will be nice getting different things from them as well as fresh eggs. Our produce bill on veggies alone is more than half of our bill each month so this will be a tremendous help. The only thing I will end up really missing and having to buy is mushrooms. I do not quite trust my knowledge on growing and identifying what is ok to eat and what is not.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image