Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi everybody,

Out of desperation I decided to sign up here to get some pro tips for my Nagami plant.In Australia, Nagami isn't quite popular so I am really hoping I don't kill this plant :(

BACKSTORY
I got the plant 20/10/13 sunday and transplanted the nagami into the soil 7 days later on the 26/10/13.
-Followed instructions as found online:
1) dug 1meter wide and twice as deep as the pot - I filled this hole with water to see if it drains and by morning all the water was gone (though native soil seemed wet). I assumed this is adequate drainage.
2) Mixed 50%compost + 50%native soil
3) Filled mixed soil into the hole first, then took out nagami from pot and placed nagami plant so that the crown is peeking over the ground level
3.5) Gently massaged roots of the plant but kept shape of the pot (so it knows it's not in a pot anymore)
4) Fill remainder of hole with mixed soil
5) Then I covered the top with some native soil
6) I topped it all with OSMOCOTE citrus fertilizer and sprayed the nagami with seasol

Below are some pictures
[Linked Image]
Above: nagami yellowing at stems of leaves with some leaves being light green. The yellowing part of the nagami comes through very clearly in the photo.

[Linked Image]
ABOVE: nagami plant from far away

[Linked Image]
ABOVE: fertilizer Im using that is placed below the nagami

[Linked Image]
ABOVE: breakdown analysis of what's in the fertilizer I'm using.

Please Help!
There was a lot of rain for 3 days after I planted the nagami and it's been fairly dry the last 2 days. I've done a lot of reading online but the answer for my nagami is unclear. The soil at the top seems very dry so I don't think I've over watered the plant.

Is my fertilizer killing my plant? What else can I do to make the tree healthier and have a more promising future? I am reading a lot about different mixes of iron, magnesium/manganese and it's so confusing :( If anyone could give me some steps I would be happy to follow.

My sincere thanks,
from a newbie gardener Becca Bear

OP Offline
any citrus pros out there? im thinking there might not be many nagami experts but alot more citrus experts out there!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, smittenkitten. I live in southern California, citrus country. I am far from an expert. But I do have a few citrus trees around including one kumquat in a large pot. It has been in the pot for over 10 years. I have also fed mine Osmocote.
Yours looks pretty healthy to me. Maybe just a touch of transplant shock and it should recover from that with time.
How much sun is it getting?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
It's getting as much sun as it can get - around 5-8 hours a day if it's not rainy. There is a big lemon tree next to it which fruits so I think it's in a good location.

How long does a plant take to get over transplant shock?

I looked at http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/syllabi/422/422lab11.htm which someone had posted about how to read nutrient deficiency.

I'm thinking my plant might be lacking in nitrogen but I'm not sure what else. Waiting for some advice before I go out and buy more fertilizer lol...

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
There should be plenty of nitrogen in the citrus food that you gave it. Transplant shock can last for a few weeks. It can also cause a lot of leaf loss. But with regular water, it should recover. It sounds like a happy spot with plenty of light and a close cousin growing well nearby. I still say give it time.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
I'm trying to be super patient and watering it whenever top soil is dry.

Parts of the leaves seem to be turning more yellow than before.:( feels like it's just slowly dying away...

as for the two other kumquat trees i found outside my house, they are tall and have green fruit but dont seem to be growing much nor it's fruit getting bigger in size and staying green.. i feel like it may be the fertilizer killing my kumquats :(

OP Offline
Hi!

I thought I would update my post since it has been awhile since the kumquat tree in question had been transplanted.

As you can see in the photo below, the tree looks in a better condition with greener leaves and less yellowey stems.
[Linked Image]

There are however, strange white patches in the centre of [only] some leaves.
[Linked Image]

Any ideas for fixes?

OP Offline
Also to my surprise, I found two large kumquat trees outside my house (HOW LUCKY AM I?!!) They are 5ft tall and I think I need to prune them but I'm not sure how or when.

[Linked Image]

They are producing a lot of fruit many of which I have plucked so the tree can focus on growing itself. There are alot of tiny budding fruit which I can't pick though since there are soooo many and sooo tiny. We are in autumn here in Australia and I'm not sure if I should prune them now? How much to cut? Also seems like something might be attacking the plant?

Thanks for your time,
:X noobie planter

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Australia?

Wow show us more photos of your vegetation there. flowers an food.. Pleasure to have you join us.
Now do you eat the Kumquat fruit? Smittenkitten

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
OP Offline
Hi dodge :) thanks for the invite. Tina has been very helpful initially as she told me not to give up on the budding nagami.

[Linked Image]
the backyard with new plants planted in the last week!!

[Linked Image]
my little herb patch i planted last week..

im very new to gardening but absolutely love it. i am ofcourse open to constructive criticism and i am eager to learn from all of you expert garden helpers out there!! grin

we are approaching winter here in melbourne australia. i fear that my plants will struggle through the frosty winter. anyway, here is a beautiful picture of our local rose garden not far from where i live. i took this photo just last week :)
[Linked Image]

OP Offline
ps. yes i do eat the nagami kumquat fruit and use the round kumquats to make a sweet-sour summer drink. in chinese its called "kat chai sui mui" i have no idea what the translation is though lol.. it's deliciously tasty!!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
show us some photos.. I know your healthy people there.
Was impressed the other day , a fellow shopping had a cart full of melons an every fruit available an Veggies. He was really thin.
I told him you shop good fella.. Older man. :Smile:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image