Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#380801 Mar 1st, 2014 at 01:24 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
A new CH for the new month. And official spring begins this month.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #380802 Mar 1st, 2014 at 01:37 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
YAY !! A new CH--and better yet---spring will happen this month !!!....But truthfully--I'll believe it when I actually see & feel it. winky prayers

Nite-nite everyone.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #380803 Mar 1st, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good morning--- we have very little snow here but it is mixed with sleet. DH is still coughing a LOT----to my notion he should be going to the Drs. But then you know how that will go...I am betting he is going to try to go to church today--and I think we should stay home--but oh well..it is not like I wll begin to make the rules now---

________

Tina #380805 Mar 2nd, 2014 at 03:00 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. When people go to church sick, it makes me a little mad. That is not such a good thing to do to your fellow church members.
Today I have the bedding in the washer. I need to figure out dinner. I forgot to defrost the meat for the meatloaves I had planned to make. So now it will be something else. Trying to figure out what sounds good in the morning is not always easy.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380806 Mar 2nd, 2014 at 08:45 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
alot of sleet here, looks like snow, but it's all ice

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Tina #380807 Mar 2nd, 2014 at 09:49 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Friday through Saturday (Sunday morning), we received a total of 8 1/2 inches of rain (according to the bucket I set out). That is a lot of rain at once for California. And more than we had had for the 12+ months before it, altogether. But we are to dry up and warm up a little this week.
We are sending that storm eastward, so duck!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380808 Mar 2nd, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
3 inches of ice and still coming down

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Tina #380809 Mar 2nd, 2014 at 01:51 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Keep safe, Belinda and all in the path of these storms.
Sweet dreams.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380811 Mar 2nd, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. No rain today. We are ready for the week ahead, I think.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380812 Mar 2nd, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts

Good Morning,

Up early today- Joe took Joseph to the airport to go visit his Az relatives... I am making us breakfast and then going to Carrie's to be with Nicoli he now has a cold... kids just can't win.. Derek is going to school for a couple hours and Joe will take him there... then go get him... his class is going to tcap tests but carrie opted him out of it so he will have some one on one time with his teacher and that will be a good thing...

Well off to get showered and start cooking.. breakfast... I will take my laptop and ipad to give me something to do... guess my laundry will wait till tonit- good thing I can do laundry and watch tv at same time in the evenings... have a good day all!

Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #380813 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I hope today goes well for everyone in your neck of the woods, Nana.

I got involved with my embroidery and a Leverage marathon & was up until 1:30 last night.

Today it is extra cold in the house. I have alls a long thought that when this house was built it was not insulated like our house at the farm was. It says it is warm to what we have the thermostat set at in here. but I beg to differ.

________

Tina #380815 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 02:29 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope you can get warm, Carol. When I am colder than I like, I tend to cook something to help warm the house. Like in the crockpot.
Today I got a good deal on boneless skinless chicken breasts. Not my favorite part. But wonderful for chicken salad. So I am divvying that up into meal sizes in the freezer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380816 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 02:47 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Well I am at Carrie's and Nicoli just finished some chicken soup... and went back to bed.. he is miserable with a head cold...
Carrie had sent a email to D's school adm telling them she did not want Derek to take the Ctap tests.. when Joe got there he had the dated letter to confirm it.. principal had a teacher all set up to test him anyway... Joe handed letter to teacher ,she gave it to principal and no testing was done while Joe was there- carrie got a call and principal said they really need to test him.... so they intend to do it ... Carrie says if they do she will write the letter to pull him out and we will homeschool him... kid is barely getting over the anxiety of being there and testing is hard on him.. even with it modified it just sets him off- why would this woman just demand they do it! Maddening... definitely not what if best for the child- ...... Still haven't heard anything about homebound teacher for Nicoli... so she will do same for him and homeschool him too... 2 weeks since she requested him being homebound ... they are ignoring her req and then punishing her for having sick children... just makes me sick...

Well I am going to get out my book and read awhile... Carol I like Leverage too... been watching it on Netflix lately ... well off to start her dishwasher and read my book... Joe will have Derek here soon and have to be ready to give him lunch ... then I think Joe will go home and take a nap- he was up at 430 to take JP to the airport -

Have a good afternoon all and hope the cold and snow goes away soon for you all.. we are nice but chilly today..

Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #380817 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 03:03 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Good grief!!!! I don't know what else to say about that school Nana. They are dead set on doing what they want without taking the wishes of the parents into consideration. Has Carrie contacted the school superintendent? That would get some type of action in my schools.

Nana, do you have 3 children?

I have been on the phone with Verizon for the last 3 hours. My phone isn't working correctly, I have insurance that I pay $9.99 for each month which, I've found out doesn't cover anything. I cancelled that insurance, refused to upgrade for $30.00 plus tax, and hung up. So don't leave me a voice mail because I can't retrieve it.

Tina #380821 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 07:20 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Well Sheri,

Right now we only have an acting superintendent , the one we had for 14 yrs resigned because the school board that just got elected wouldn't work with her... so now they are spending 40 grand to find a new one... she called the number for the person acting as superintendent and got a recording- no return call... this is the largest school dist in Colo... and the worse run evidently... last yr it came to light that someone had been siphoning off money for the last 10 yrs from and improvement fund.... came to many thousands of dollars... hasn't come to trial yet...

Yes have 3 kids.. oldest is Teresa.. she has 2 boys of her own- almost 24 and 22.. the 22 yr old lives in my basement right now... at least till his girlfriend get back from school in Fla... later this month- they are supposed to be moving in with her mom and sister in a place her grandparents are buying for them...she also has 3 step daughters but we rarely see them .. they are all older teens .. then I have my son... he has 6 kids- 2 ex wives... and he is the one with the twins who are autistic, though they are getting more accomplished all the time... then we have Carrie who has the 4 boys .. oldest is Joseph.. he is almost 20.. Timothy is almost 13 and Derek is 11.. Nicoli just turned 9...

I talked to my son yesterday he came and spent the morning with me while his wife took a photography class close to us.. we discussed the party for my hubby and he volunteered to help pay for us to go out to dinner and surprise him that way... it's his birthday and our anniversary the 18 and 19th so it would be easy for me to get him to go out to dinner and have all of them there already... I am going to try and call the restaurant and make a reservation for all of us- we do make a big group.... LOL! We are going to try and do it the Sat before... the kids can text me and he won't catch on cause he doesn't text... ....

Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #380822 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I just read on Facebook that Carol can't log into here. I guess that's still the correct information since I see she hasn't posted here in a while.

Thanks for the update Nana. I have 2 daughters - 1 has 3 children, the other has 1 son. I have 2 step children. My step daughter says she is a lesbian (she's been married to a man before so I'm not certain she really is)and doesn't have children and my step son has 2 daughters. Of the 6 grands 16 is the oldest and almost 3 is the youngest. 4 girls 2 boys.

Bestofour #380824 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
YAY I am here !!!

...I possibly could have gotten here earluier but I had a lot of housework to finish and then I made a 9 x 13 pecan pie & a large lasagna for supper....
But thanks for everything guys...I could not get on this morning when I posted on FB & then I got busy around the house.

I didn't read back too far--but I have 2 children. Same Marriage...Oldest, Valarie, is going to be 34 in April & My baby, Emily, is going to be 28 in April. Oldest is going to have her first child (a son) in April or early May & the youngest has a son, Luke, that will be 2 in September...I have been married to Rodney since April of 1979.

________

Tina #380826 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 01:11 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am glad you got in, Carol. I have had different times when I couldn't for a while. I always figure it is a server problem and wait a bit.
It was a busy Monday. I am looking forward to my bed tonight.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380828 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks Tina:
and yes It was likly on my end----I am still going in & out of service--but the thing was I went straight to FB &posted after I could not get in here..but oh well I am in now--so it's all good.

I am way tired as well.

Tomorrow I am going shopping with my Sister. We have to shop for my Daughter's baby shower....We always have a good time. grin So it should be a nice day.

________

JunieGirl #380829 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
breakfast Good Morning. I got in yay !!

I just stopped in to say "Hi". I am on my way to get ready to leave. Have a great day everyone. 12*F here...and only to get to 30 today. But hey, the sun is up.

________

Tina #380830 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. Baby shower shopping sounds like fun, Carol. Keep safe on the roads.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380831 Mar 3rd, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
It was 21F when I came to work this morning. I called my sister to get some sympathy and she told me to suck it up that she was driving to work in 9 inches of snow at 3 degrees. Just goes to show it can always be worse.

I keep wondering what's going to happen when all the snow starts melting. Are we going to wash into the oceans? Maybe it will wash across CA and end the drought and fires.

Neither of my children can understand the concept of me working. Shelley has always called me to take off randomly to baby sit or whatever. Now that Ginger has Colt she does it too. She called me this morning and wants me to take off all next week. She was surprised when I told her I had to work. I would come close to doing it if this was my full time job but I told them I'd fill in so I think I should do it. I would be dead if I kept Colt for an entire week by myself.

Tina #380833 Mar 4th, 2014 at 02:08 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Sounds like your kids are a bit spoiled, Sheri. We do that to them. But you did give your word and are sticking to it. That is a good lesson to pass on too.
I got Ted to school without any extra detours. There was some police drama in town that I was paying attention to. But it was mostly cleared up by the time I got near there.
I stopped for onions on the way home and will get my meatloaves cooked up today. 4 1/2 pounds of ground beef, 3 pounds of ground turkey and 3 pounds of pork sausage. Onions, spices, bread crumbs and eggs to bind it altogether should make a few loaves to put into the freezer and keep me through summer. I don't turn my oven on in summer and I love meatloaf.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380834 Mar 4th, 2014 at 07:51 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I got lazy this afternoon. I put two 5 pound meatloaves in the oven. I had thought about putting smaller loaves in but that makes more dishes later. So I will slice these up when they are cold tomorrow and store them in food saver bags in slices in the freezer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380836 Mar 4th, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
A food saver is great, Tina--I had one when they were called "Seal a meal"..but a mouse chewed thru my cord...At what they cost I don't know if I will ever see another one. I will say I loved mine for sure.

I do not think that any meatloaf would ever live long enough around here to get put into the freezer. I simply LOVE a cold meatloaf sandwich !!..But perhaps if I were making them expressly FOR the freezer--then that might be different...

yes we do spoil our kids--but oh well--In the end I hope they all grow up knowing what is right & what is wrong... why

Sheri: Sorry for the way the girls are behaving--but I too think that them seeing you keep your word is a good lesson for them. thumbup

________

Tina #380839 Mar 4th, 2014 at 02:11 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I still have my old seal a meal. I liked it well enough. But the bags were so expensive and I was so poor that I was afraid to use it much. The food saver is expensive to replenish the bags on too. But they save their cost in keeping things from freezer burn. And I am not as poor as I was.
Sweet dreams all. Another day tomorrow.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380842 Mar 4th, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. This week is only half over. I could use a weekend, I think.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380843 Mar 5th, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
What are food saver bags? So Tina, you totally make the meatloaf then slice while it's hot and put them in the frig? Johnny will eat a cold meatloaf sandwich and I could always warm a piece up in the microwave.

I've had several times lately that I can't tell if a student is a girl or a boy. Just had a sick student named Kiley in here and when I called mom I called HER a HIM. Dressed in sweats and converse shoes. I hate to point blank ask. Might give them a complex for sure.

Tina #380847 Mar 5th, 2014 at 01:15 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts

Morning,

Joe is off doing the school runs- taking Derek to school for his hour or two... he is doing the testing and is doing okay with the para they have helping him... funny how they can have one for him to test but not everyday so he could feel comfortable about going everyday all day..

Nicoli is coming here and we are going to do homework today.... to keep up with his school work and hopefully catch up... he is still feeling crappy with the cold.. carrie went in yesterday to pick up more work for him and asked about homebound and they are still working on it.... 2 and a half weeks and counting.... hope they have to account to a judge too..

Well better go start making some breakfast for the boys...

Oh yes we got some snow last night- not a lot but it is cold , though the sun is out now so hope it all melts quickly.... I am so ready for summer ...

Have a good day all!

Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #380848 Mar 5th, 2014 at 01:26 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Sheri: Food saver bags--The special bags to use when using a food saver---so the machine can suck the air out of them & then the machine seals them.

Nana: Sounds as if thigns are starting to run a bit more smoothly there. I sure hope that is the case. Continued prayers.

Tina: Perhaps one day the price of the food saver will come down & I can get one. Thing is with just the 21 of us I would not need to use it a whole lot. But I admit it would be nice to have in the backround for say garden stuff & such. Do they make boil-in-bags like seal-a-meal used to ???

Today I am going to get my Taxes done..,and perhaps some more shopping...

________

Tina #380851 Mar 5th, 2014 at 01:43 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good second morning. I got my second wind, well, first wind finally. I guess my coffee kicked in.
Sheri you can slice meatloaf while it is still warm but it slices so much better when chilled. I will be slicing it in a bit and then sealing in the special bags w/o air and freezing. No air in the bags equals no freezer burn.
Carol, good morning. I have not seen any boil bags in the food saver stuff. Any more it is suggested that heating in plastic is not good for you because stuff leaches out of plastic into your food. As I age I keep feeling like the world is trying to poison us.
Nana, it sounds like Carrie is going to hound them until something positive is done. That is a very good thing.
I took Ted to school. I didn't stop anywhere but one office so I took the dog with us. He loves to ride. Ted likes the company in the car. The dog doesn't get to ride much in the summer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380852 Mar 5th, 2014 at 01:49 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I don't have a food saver either. Wonder if meatloaf will save in tupperwear.

Tina #380854 Mar 5th, 2014 at 03:28 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
I have a food saver too and love it and it is just the two of us... I can still cook big batches and save in smaller portions... I use it for all sorts of stuff too- I clean and polish my silver ware.. good stuff from my mom and grandmothers// and then wrap it in paper towels and food save it sealed.. saves the polishing time-job I hated as a kid....

I so the meatloaf too in slices... cookie dough... soups in mason jars.. I have the jar sealer too... I seal my flour ,sugar, bisquick in jars too.. I make big batches of stew, chili, and chicken ... then seal it up... lasts a long long time and no freezer burn- if I make a good buy on meats or poultry I seal it in bags... if you wrap the raw meat in a reg plastic bag you can easily reuse the sealer bag - especially if you cut them big for your food item- I wash mine all the time till they are way small... I am going to start saving milk again in freezer too... may freeze it in bags if I can think of a good container to freeze it in and transfer froz to a bag... thinking of a glass dish I use for brownies.... till it's slushy at least then putting in a gal freezer bag..then in a sealer bag... can store flat that way....

Well off to get Nicoli started on homework and me on clothes folding... he is reading...

Have a good day all...

Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #380855 Mar 5th, 2014 at 04:09 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I have the jar sealers that go with my food saver. That is how I store all of my dehydrated fruits and vegetables. Plus breaking down larger packages into something more manageable for smaller family. Sealing lengthens the storage time of things like rice and other dry goods. Buying larger packages is a little less expensive. Plus they look so pretty on the shelf.
I am off to mail a package and stop to pick up more canning jars for those items I want to store. Then pick up my son from school.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Bestofour #380857 Mar 5th, 2014 at 02:00 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
I don't have a food saver either. Wonder if meatloaf will save in tupperwear.

well if it were me, I would put it in the freezer over-night on a tray lined with say waxed paper. Then when the meatloaf is frozen you can transfer it to a piece of aluminum foil, & wrap it tightly. Or wrap it with plastic wrap & them aluminum foil. I also sometimes just put it in a freeezer ziploc bag after it is frozen & wrapped in plastic wrap. It is jsut that you can't leave it in the freezer this way as long as you could have in the food saver bags.

I do freeze my Christmas Cookies in tupperwear, though so perhaps it would work. BUT I have trouble with the thawing of my Tupperware. You cant take it out of the freezer & open it right away---it tends to break. why

well I got my taxes taken care of, and I managed to run an errand for my MIL.

Tomorrow I am taking my MOM shopping for my Daughter's Shower----

________

Tina #380860 Mar 5th, 2014 at 02:13 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
That sounds fun, Carol. This shower is not at your house?
I am heading to bed. Sweet dreams all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380863 Mar 5th, 2014 at 02:50 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Nope...In A town about 6 miles away there is a VFW post. The shower is being held there. Since my SIL (Emily's DH) belongs to it, it was very easy to rent & I think cheaper. They have a nice sized room for such functions with all the tables & chairs already set up.
Plus they have a kitchen....

Valarie & Brian will be staying at our house for the weekend though--I am ever so pleased.

________

Tina #380866 Mar 5th, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. That sounds like fun, Carol. And much less work for you. Happy Thursday to all. I am more than ready for my coffee.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #380867 Mar 5th, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks Tina, I am hoping it will be fun. Soon I am off to my MIL's to show her the gift I picked up for her and do her pills & call a few Drs for her. Then on to get my MOM.

have a good day everyone. wavy

________

Tina #380869 Mar 6th, 2014 at 01:36 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
So Tina and Nana, the jar sealer, does it replace canning as in water bath or pressure canner?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image