Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#380804 Mar 2nd, 2014 at 02:45 AM
OP Offline
Hello,
I have a spider plant that up until about a week ago was looking extremely healthy and I was even getting complimented about how beautifully it was growing. All of a sudden just a few days ago some of the leaves started turning yellow and it doesn't look too great. I haven't moved it from the spot that it was sitting in and I'm quite sure it has had enough water. Would anyone be able to offer any advice?

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Have you over watered? I think once a week in winter is good, not totally dry but not soggy. Do you have a sunnier location you can put it in? Does it need to be divided? Just things to think about.

If everything is ok with that I would trim off the affected leaves at the base of the plant and water a little less and see what happens.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
if it is not better in a week or 2, and you have tried all the things that Bestofour suggested, then look at the roots & see if they are ok. If they are not---cut off the bad roots & place the whole plant in water until you have new roots. then replant, being mindful of the watering, as Bestofour said.

if there are any babies, put them in water until they root & then you will have a new plant t5hat way too.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
OP Offline
I don't think that I over watered the plant, and unfortunately I do not have a sunnier location. How would I know if needs to be divided?

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
If it's crowded around the base of the plant. How old is the plant? Usually yellowing leaves means too much watering but I guess it's not all the time.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
Have you over watered? I think once a week in winter is good, not totally dry but not soggy. Do you have a sunnier location you can put it in? Does it need to be divided? Just things to think about.

If everything is ok with that I would trim off the affected leaves at the base of the plant and water a little less and see what happens.

why not try what bestofour suggested and water your spider plant a bit less often--or if not less often perhaps use the same time frame & not use as much water....does the pot have a drain hole ??

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
If all else fails I would definitely trim it back and divide. They're hardy plants so I don't think it will totally die.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
thumbup

________

These are the following things needs to be considered for growing spider plants. You might have not followed any of the following conditions which might have led to its illness.
Light:
Undemanding. Spider plants prefer bright light, and tend toward scorching in direct sunlight. However, they will grow in conditions ranging from semi-shady to partial direct sun.
Water:
Water liberally through the summer. Mist occasionally. During winter, cut watering back.
Temperature: Do not let fall below 50ºF or expose to cold drafts.
Soil:
Spider plants like fast-draining, well-aerated potting mix.
Fertilizer:
Feed weekly during the summer with liquid fertilizer or use pellets at the beginning of the growing season.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image