Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#380674 Feb 22nd, 2014 at 02:06 AM
Zepher Offline OP
OP Offline
So the other day I acquired some "wild" huckleberry seeds (Vaccinium membranaceum) and I was wondering how well they'd do in Southern California? I believe the seeds I've got are from plants native to the northwest U.S. and are adapted to deal with cold snowy winters, which California totally lacks. Would the mild winters with a complete lack of snow be detrimental to the health of these plants, or affect it negatively in some other way?

Last edited by Zepher; Feb 22nd, 2014 at 02:48 AM.

My little potted garden: Thyme, Rosemary, Chives, Sweet Basil, Spearmint, Lemon Balm, Cape Sundew, and a couple of Venus Flytraps.
Zepher #380675 Feb 22nd, 2014 at 03:22 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
There are some native Vaccinium to California. But mostly central to northern. And some that will do well in slightly higher elevations. The only thing you can do with your seeds is try. All of them like acidic soil. I would use pots for that, I think.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #380676 Feb 22nd, 2014 at 03:42 AM
Zepher Offline OP
OP Offline
I will definitely try to to keep the soil acidic! Would pine needles be enough, or should I use something else/something stronger to keep the soil acidic? I don't drink coffee (no on in my family does) so I don't have easy access to coffee grounds, but there are some pine trees in the area, and after Christmas there are a ton of drying Christmas trees around waiting for the trash truck pickup.

Or vinegar is pretty easy to get a hold of. Would that work?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited by Zepher; Feb 22nd, 2014 at 03:57 AM.

My little potted garden: Thyme, Rosemary, Chives, Sweet Basil, Spearmint, Lemon Balm, Cape Sundew, and a couple of Venus Flytraps.
Zepher #380678 Feb 22nd, 2014 at 05:05 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Any of those things will help a little. Be careful with vinegar as it is used as a weed killer regularly. So a very weak solution and in the soil only. An old farmer told me that rusty nails stuck into the soil around a plant help also. But be careful if you are going to be doing any digging; wear gloves.
If you go into a local coffee place, they may share their used grounds with you. Even a local 7/11. Those are good for more than just acidifying. They are great for snails and slug control too.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image