Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#37697 May 4th, 2007 at 02:50 PM
OP Offline
I decided to stake a few trellis in my garden for the cukes and cantaloupe. How "easy" is it to grow them vertically?
I made my trellis out of 2x2's and plastic netting then carefully pulled the runners up against the netting and tied them to it. I tied loosely to allow the stem to grow bigger. Will they take off upwards from there or do I need to continue tieing the stems to the trellis?
Any other tips I should know?

Also, I planted bush green beans, they shouldn't need a trellis, right? What about lima beans? I planted "Henderson Bush" so it would be a bush bean, too, right?

Thanks,
JoAnn

OP Offline
I went out and took some pics. The cukes seem to be fine, but (and I don't know if you can see it in the pics) I had to take some of the mellon vines and bring them back to the trellis - kind of bowing them! Will this hurt them?
Mellons:
[Linked Image]

Cukes:
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have planted cukes along a chain link fence and they did splendidly.
But the melons would worry me. They would seem too heavy. I have seen them grown vertically with little slings to hold them as they develop.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #37922 May 5th, 2007 at 03:02 AM
3k Posts
3k Posts
Should do well

[Linked Image]
glenda #38049 May 5th, 2007 at 06:00 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
yep you need the little slings for the heavier fruit. Pantyhose have been recomended from time to time.

[Linked Image]
The cukes will do fine, they also like a BIG square tomato cage,flwr The melons will do ok with the netting,but the supports that hold the net should be stronger then wooden poles, I use the small 1/2 inch diameter electrical conduit pipes about 6ft in height with a 4 ft one on top, connect them with 2 elbow connectors and use about 18inches of rebar to support the bottoms(inside the pipes), it's cheap and works great!! I make them 4ft long just for the stability reasons...but I love them and when you can get a melon or pumpkin to actually 'hang' from the netting, it's really weird looking, but cool!! shock They love being off the ground too!!! No more boards and 'earth bugs' to worry about...lol clap

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image