Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#379988 Jan 21st, 2014 at 01:35 AM
OP Offline
Hello,
I have a devils ivy plant that all of a sudden has started losing all of its leaves. At first I didn't think much of it but now almost half of the leaves have fallen off.

The problem started when I returned from a 2.5 week vacation and the plant was not watered for more than a week since my roommate forgot about it. When I came back I watered it and I continued doing what I was doing before I had any problems (I was watering every few days when I noticed the soil was dry). Does anyone know if there is anything I can do for my plant to save it?

floydfan #379990 Jan 21st, 2014 at 02:40 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts

It's normal for a Devil's ivy plant (aka Pothos) to shed a few leaves, but constant yellowing and shedding usually means that the plant is kept too wet. (could it have been overwatered at any time before you left?) Also avoid drafty windows and locations near air vents or radiators.

I think I would try letting it dry out fairly well between waterings. I have one that is soon to be 34 years old. when my girls were small I don't think I watered it more than say once a month. I think they thrive on neglect.

If you are really concerned, I think I would take a few cuttings & put them in water. They will soon regrow new roots & you can begin a new pot BUT will have healthy plants to put in it.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
floydfan #379995 Jan 21st, 2014 at 04:59 AM
OP Offline
I have never done any cuttings, do you have any suggestions on how to do them?

floydfan #379996 Jan 21st, 2014 at 05:00 AM
OP Offline
Also, the plant is on a window sill right now, it is possible it is drafty, there is only one other place in my apartment that would have enough light but would it be fine for the vine to be laying on the ground?

floydfan #379997 Jan 21st, 2014 at 06:02 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
well yes the draft could be the issue, it has been very cold lately & extra windy too.

Try it, or put a mini trellis in the pot & wind the vine around that some. (you can make a trellis out of a number of items.) Just use something that you can prop the vine up on. But as long as you do not have animals I think it should be ok on the floor.

Originally Posted by floydfan
I have never done any cuttings, do you have any suggestions on how to do them?

Take stem tip cuttings about 6 inches long from healthy devil's ivy stems, making the cut with a sharp knife at least an inch below a leaf. later when it has rooted & you plant it, each section will produce a new plant from the eye or node in the leaf axil.

What I found also says to plant the cutting right away & cover it with a plastic bag & keep the soil moist & to NOT let it sit in water. BUT I have been propagating mine in water for over 30 years & it works like a charm. I plant them when they have nice long roots. I also have some I just keep in a vase of water.

Ok that is the official way--I just cut a piece off that has a long enough stem to let it sit in water----really it is way easy. just make sure the cut end is a nice clean fresh cut so it will absorb water easily.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image