Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello,

I've recently moved into a new house in north San Diego county CA, and there is one of the coolest plants I've ever seen that to me (a novice) to be quite old. The house is from late 60's and so the plant could be over 30 years old. Far as I can tell it's a Yucca queretaroensis that's over 6 feet tall, just my best guess though. Around August/September 2013 when the previous owners who I'm in contact with said it started blooming for first time since at least 2006 when they purchased the house. I moved in about 2 weeks ago and have done absolutely nothing to the plant except put about 4 gallons of water on it over last 2 days when I noticed what looks like a simultaneous die back of the leaves. I realize 99% of the time Yucca issues are over watering but I would be hard to think that's the case for me, although promise I won't water it again unless suggested to. It's an outside plant and has always been, here are some pics. Hoping it's not dying as I really enjoy having it as "part of the house." Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Yucca Album

New Gardener learning...
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Scott. From the Cajon Pass. That is one pretty plant! I had never seen one before. And looking it up there is very little info available.
But it did say not to water. That trunk it has will probably have stored plenty. Leaf browning in succulents is often a matter of root rot or too much water. I would leave it alone and make sure it isn't a natural thing happening. It could be you will soon see new green growth beginning in the middle of the top of it and that set of leaves will fall flat against the trunk.
Good luck. I hope it makes it to be so beautiful for many more years in your yard.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Thank you Tina, I'm definitely going to leave it alone. Also think I'm going to get certified arborist Gary Walker of Escondido out to take a look this weekend as well, just because it would be ashamed to let it die, it might be older than me :)

Other opinions welcome, of course.

New Gardener learning...
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tina has some good advice.
I can add nothing but I just wanted to say that I too think it is one impressive looking plant.
I would be interested in hearing what the certified arborist has to say though...

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
OP Offline
Hi all,

Looks like the mystery was solved by folks at growingontheedge.net forums. It's a mexican grass tree or Dasylirion longissimum. And it might just be stressed a bit, although we haven't narrowed down a cause in several pics of the plant online I could see similar brown tips so it might just be part of the plants processes? Not sure.

New Gardener learning...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image