Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345645 Jun 28th, 2011 at 12:52 AM
OP Offline
Good Morning, I am growing Sugar Baby watermelon in our little garden. The melons get only up to 10 lbs. I am looking for the best way to make a trellis that will support the plant. I know I will need to make some melon hammocks once the melons begin to grow. Has anyone ever made a watermelon trellis? Can you share your method please? I prefer to make one with inexpensive materials rather than buy something fancy or expensive. I also prefer organic/sustaninable methods.

I should add that I have a small space. I probably have about 2 feet on either side of the plant and maybe 2 feet behind it. It's in the corner of my plot. There's no wall to attach anything to. My plot is bordered by other gardeners plots. Any help or advice is appreciated, as always. Thank you.

Last edited by cagardengirl; Jun 28th, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
i grew baby melons up a toprail fence and on an old swingset. That is some mighty strong metal. I'm not sure I would try it on anything much weaker. But let us know what you figure out and how it works.
I used old pantyhose for hammocks. They work great and stretch as it grows.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Do you think an old iron patio table might work? I might be able to get one cheap.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That sounds beautiful!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
Cool Idea, I never thought of trellising watermelons, I just figured they we're too heavy. Hmm, this means they would take a lot less space. I 'll have to try it or maybe I'll try it for squash, I so better growing them then melons.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Trellising heavy fruits or vegetable plants takes a heavy duty trellis and individual support for the produce. If you try with a lightweight trellis the fruit will topple it over very easily. A 'structure' with plenty of places to tie up vines and fruit is best.
I have a 7 ft top-rail gate with another 7 ft piece of fencing attached. That has been planted in the ground tent-style. My kids used it for a sturdy climbing structure when they were little. It is still a very good sturdy climbing structure, just no kids. So the vines can have it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tina
That sounds beautiful!

If I can get the table or concoct something else out of someone else's discards, I will try to post a photo. I am looking forward to some watermelon.

You may also want to look for an old chain link gate. They are galvanized or aluminum and you may be able to get one really cheap.

As old as this is, I feel inclined to post here letting people know what I did for any who wander here seeking ideas!

I grew all of my watermelon plants on a vertical metal rack I got from Target, once the fruits started I put them in pantyhose and tied the hose to the rack, support and space saving! grin

-Jon Boyenga
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
sounds like a very inventive idea---did you by any chance get any photos that you could share ???

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
That is a very inventive idea. I have an old metal painters scaffold that I use for vining stuff. Never thought about the hose though.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image