Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#378621 Nov 23rd, 2013 at 04:39 AM
OP Offline
My Christmas cactus has a "wrinkly" leaf. What can I do to make it plump up again?

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
ist itan water it ansee if it helps

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #378665 Nov 25th, 2013 at 08:54 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Heres Christmas cactus requirements.

or with low-sodium content.

Root Loss

Root loss causes Christmas cactus leaves to shrivel and eventually die. Plants that are overwatered or grown in poorly draining soil develop root loss. The best soil for a Christmas cactus is a commercial cactus potting soil, or one part vermiculite and two parts potting soil. Good drainage is vital to keeping the Christmas cactus roots healthy and the leaves from shriveling.

Not Enough Water

Plants need watering when the soil is dry 1 inch deep in the container. Water the plant if when you stick your finger in the soil, it is dry. If the soil is damp, wait a few days and test the soil again. If the soil is allowed to dry out excessively between waterings, the soil becomes, hard and cracked. The soil pulls away from the container's sides. When you water the plant with hard and cracked soil, the water runs down the cracks or the sides of the container and doesn't provide water to the rest of the soil. Leaves start shriveling from lack of water.

Sunlight

A sunny location promotes Christmas cactus blooming. If the plants are grown in a sunny location without some shade during the day, the leaves begin wilting or appear shriveled. Plants do well with six hours of direct sunlight a day and shade for the rest of the

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8669813_shriveled-leaves-christmas-cactus.html#ixzz2lhkSzauG

Last edited by dodge; Nov 25th, 2013 at 08:54 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #378673 Nov 25th, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Dodge:

Wrinkled leaves are usually a sign of moisture problems. Too much or not enough water can cause the wrinkling you describe.

I have heard that if you repot the cactus in a larger pot, as it could be rootbound, and use a cactus potting soil that it may do well then---and while you are doing that look at the roots to see if they are ok.

OR if you would like, you could just not water it for a good while to see if that helps the situation. I usually water mine about once or twice a month.

I have read this:

When a cactus is in bloom water it then wait until the soil is just slightly moist before watering again--BUT when the cactus is not blooming you should wait until the top few inches of soil are dry before watering again.

I have the same problem with one of mine--I guess I will stop watering it as often as I have been & see if that helps me. why

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image