Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#378567 Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:03 AM
OP Offline
Hello everyone!

In the spring/summer I acquired two different types of hens&chickens. I have them in cacti/succulent soil in pots outside. For reference, I live in zone 6a. I did my research over the summer and found that they can live here year round... but as winter closes in and my toes go numb, I'm getting worried about my little plants. Will they really do okay outside in New England weather? What about the snow? Will it crush/freeze/kill them?

Ive loved houseplants ever since I was a kid, my grandmother taught me. Majored in Floriculture in High School.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
hello: I live in zone 6B

Well since they are in pots why worry--Just bring the pots inside or put them in a garage if you have one.
I have some in the ground outside and they come back every year--but they are between my deck and my A/C unit, and so are somewhat protected.

At one time I had some in a pot like yours & left them out, but I did not have them in a protected area & they froze out.

If you are curious, I guess you could conduct an experiment & leave one pot outside (but I would put it in a protected area) and then bring one inside.

if you leave them outside---dont get excited next spring if they look bad--just take care of them as if they look good & they could well come back. My prickly pear look bad every winter & come back beautifully in the summer.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
OP Offline
My aunt has some outside lining her walk and mailbox and they always come back. I just feel like they're more established than mine.

Um I have no where to put them inside. But I'll take your advice and try to shelter them a bit. Thank you :)

Ive loved houseplants ever since I was a kid, my grandmother taught me. Majored in Floriculture in High School.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
if you have a garage or car port that should be helpful
Good luck--let us know how it works out...

________

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hens an chickens don't need shelter.. Mine is up against the chimney outside an I get oodles here in zine a5.
No need to shelter those at all.. I have green as well as red ones.

Good luck

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes Dodge you are right. But this ladies plants are in pots, & the pots can freeze out. I had that happen to me, so I know it can happen.

________

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Sorry about that.
Mine multiply like bunnies nervous

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I can not get any to live I've tried 2 times and they just die on me

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
They are cold weather plants.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I have a hard time getting them to live too,summer or winter.

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Maybe its the zone we are in

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
That says it all

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Mine did okay in the summer. Mine put off a ton of little babies, none got very big but they're certainly alive.

My friend gave me the other one, it was dying on here. Perked up in my care and one out of the two babies survived.

So I'm confused, what was the agreement? Shelter the pots or don't shelter them?

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Well, if it was me, since your hens & chicks are in pots, I would shelter them as well as possible. It will not hurt, and could help. Personally when I left my pot outdoors, they froze out.

________

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I also live in zone 6 and have been growing them for years in an unprotected area in the ground. As a matter of fact, they are in the spot where all my driveway snow gets piled up by the plow guy. They come back each year and do very well.

That said... if you are going to put your pots indoors anywhere, they cannot dry out fully - I have killed a few by putting them in my shed, where they got totally dried out.

Is there any place you can stick them in the ground just for winter?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
No, my mom would not be pleased. I think I'll just try them as they are and see what happens. Thank you!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Mine are in ugly gravel ares..by the chimney..I have to decease them early...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
dodge, you sent me the ones I've got so I've had them a long time. They just don't multiply like yours do. I have friends, in the same growing zone, that have great luck with them. I can't grow impatients either and someone told me it's because I have too many oak trees. Wonder if that could be the same problem with the hens and chicks.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
????
I am going to look up the qualifications for thoe 2 an see .
Mine seem to like growing in rocky soil where nothing else will grow?/ I potted some of them for my garage sale last fall, an they went like hot cakes.
My sis gave me them mamy years ago,. THey planted them the whole way around their houses.//
What ever I like them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Heres what it says of Hens an chicks qualifications.

This is what mine have. Well drained sandy soil. Clay an mounded .. thumbup
Hope this helps

Soil Types

Hens and chicks thrive in well-drained, sandy soil with a neutral pH. They will grow in hard, clay soil mounded at the top to allow excess water to drain off. Hens and chicks have shallow roots that also allow them to grow in shallow soil, such as that found in rock gardens, on rooftops or in areas with decaying bark mulch. The offshoots, or chicks, often grow attached to the mother plant, or hen, even without being rooted in soil. Hens and chicks will survive without soil until the leaves of the

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8654141_type-should-plant-hens-chicks.html#ixzz2lheu1vxP

Last edited by dodge; Nov 25th, 2013 at 08:35 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Sheri Heres update on Impatient plants.

Shade lovers for sure.
Requirements: Fertile, moist, but well drained soil preferred. Warm, frost free conditions required. Commonly grown in partial shade or filtered sunlight (e.g. bush house

Grow well in our area. However this summer they seemed stunted??
Odd year here on lots of plants. Sure hope 2014 is kinder to us. Don't give up Sheri

Will go look up oak trees. I have maple in my yard.. Love them flwr

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Now the Oak tree story for you .

Apparently Oak tree areas are bare because the lack of compose.
Perhaps you tried to plant them under the oak tree? Probably a no no.
Heres what they say

How to Get Grass to Grow Under Oak Trees - Provided by eHow
Get grass to grow under oak trees by adding several inches of compost or potting soil and sprinkling a lot of grass seed. Water grass under oak trees frequently in the spring and fall with tips from a sustainable gardener in this free video on plants and... View Video Transcript
Scotts® EZ seed® Scotts.com

Read more: How to Get Grass to Grow Under Oak Trees | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/video-56511-grass-grow-under-oak-trees.html#ixzz2lhiIhYTH

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
very good information, Barb. thumbup

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Everywhere else I've lived impatients have grown to gigantic sizes and even put out baby plants. Not in this yard. Pansys will not grow in the ground around here. They do well in pots but not in the ground. I'm not complaining because there were beautiful things growing in this yard when we moved in and I've planted plenty of other stuff. In my other yards impatients and pansys were great growers and impatients were good fill ins. Not here.

I'm not sure about the hens and chick problem. I wonder if something eats them because they grow for a while then disappear.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
You know, Sheri, I have had Hens and chicks only live for so many years too. I wonder if they delete some nuttient form the soil of the area..I will have to look that up & see what I can find.

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Gosh talk about a blast from the past. I remember when dodge looked up the oak tree information. I still can't get impatients to grow in the ground OR in pots. It has got to be the oaks because they grow like weeds in the shade in this climate and reseed and get very large. And pansys will not grow at all in the ground and do "ok" in pots but not if anywhere near an oak tree. Oaks are the only trees we have for shade but I do have a few shrubs I can sit pots under for a bit of shade. I gave up on the hens and chicks even in my strawberry pot. I like them but they just don't grow.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I read about hens & chicks. The article said that they like sandy soil, and they do not like much water. It also said that the moms die off every 3-4 years & should be removed. BUT sounds to me as it if is the Oaks as well. I will research that next.

I must say though, I think having Oak Trees around is far more worth it--one can do without a few flowers if Oak trees are wheat one gets in exchange.

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image