Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#377871 Oct 19th, 2013 at 01:14 AM
sis92 Offline OP
OP Offline
I think my peace lily was unhappy with the draft it was getting from my floor fan, so I moved it to the top of my bookshelf. The bookshelf sits right beside my wall furnace. Wall furnaces don't blow heat, just radiate it...which means it's pretty darn hot towards the ceiling, especially right beside the furnace. I lit the furnace 3 days ago, and didn't even think about my poor plant up there.

I saw it yesterday morning before I left for work and it was a pretty sad sight. Very very droopy, and most of the leaves were black. I immediately gave it water, and when I got home, it had perked up quite a bit. I gave it a little more water and then before I went to bed, I cut all the black leaves off and put it in the sink for a major overflow of water. Once it drained, I put it on the kitchen table and took some pictures.

It's looking pretty good this morning, what's left of it, so I think it might make it. I'm wondering if there's anything else I should do for it. Should I just treat it like normal now? Give it some fertilizer maybe? Will all of the 'nubs' left grow anything new? Or should I remove them somehow?

Thanks for any help!

The 1st pic is what it looks like today. The 2nd one is the 'nubs' I'm talking about, where I cut all the black leaves off.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sis92; Oct 19th, 2013 at 01:37 AM.
How did you get the pictures directly in the post?

sis92 Offline OP
OP Offline
You have to upload it online somewhere. Photobucket is free. Then you get the direct link to the picture and put it in between this, with no spaces [img] picture link here [/img]

Treat it normally. Don't fertilize. Fertilizer is not medicine!. Wait until the leaves look healthy, and new growth has started, before you fertilize. 3 or 4 times a year for fertilizer is plenty. You can cut the brown "nubs" (dead leaf stems) off with scissors. New leaves grow from deep inside the stem, where the green leaf "nubs" are. New leaves don't really grow from the old leaf stems, but it looks like they do. Leave those the way they are. Make sure you're not watering too much, the plant will probably use less water now that it has fewer leaves. Question: how long have you had this peace lily? You may have been watering it too much all along. Peace lilies should have soil moisture get down to about 30% before watering again, all the way to the bottom of the pot, not just at the top. If you dig up soil with a spoon, and squeeze it between your fingers, the soil will stick together, but fall apart easily when you touch it. Here's a video that shows more of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBBh0RPPqu0

sis92 Offline OP
OP Offline
I've had this plant for several years. I usually wait for the plants to tell me they need water, but if I water before then, it's every 2 weeks and I water from the bottom mostly. I watered it yesterday for the first time since I almost killed it. I've actually got 3 new leaves sprouting from where I cut it back at. :)

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
New leaves, that is great !! congratulations !!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
mine got a little cold but don't want to move it inside yet, was 70 here today. I have moved everything to the shed

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image