Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#377810 Oct 15th, 2013 at 08:17 AM
jedge76 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone! I'm a new member here and interested in a velvet philodendron or phil. verrucosum. I've googled for some basic information to see if the care differed from the average philodendron, but ran into some somewhat conflicting info...basically light requirements.

I currently have a heartleaf philo, Dieffenbachia, red anthurium and a peace lily that are all doing well in my north facing window (the heartleaf is a good 8 feet back).

So basically, I would love to hear any insight into the new, potential acquisition or any experience any of you may have in keeping philo verrucosum. Thanks in advance!

--Joe
Fresno, CA

Haven't had any experience with verrucosum, although a number or other philo varieties, but to speak to your finding conflicting information...basically that means that people have kept these plants in differing conditions, presumably with enough success to warrant saying "this is how it should be done." Especially regarding light, you should be able to have healthy plants anywhere in the range that you read of. Just remember the crucial variable is water - the less light the plant has, the less water it will use, and the drier (less saturated) the soil should become between waterings.

Hi,

I have three of them. One of my very favorite houseplants. I believe it takes the same light/water requirements as normal phils. I do keep mine in clay pots since they love humidity and I also mist twice a day and keep the plant above a shallow dish filled with water and pebbles so the pot can sit on the pebbles for added moisture in the air. Just don't overwater these little guys. If the leaves turn yellow too much water, brown not enough.

I hope this helps,

T

Plants takes all my sorrow and give joy to my soul.
jedge76 Offline OP
OP Offline
Good stuff, thanks guys. I have been thinking about adding one of these plants to my house. I have a northern window to put them in or near, but not sure that's enough light...at least during the winter. I would have it out on a covered patio in the summer most likely, but I'd really have to keep them misted well as I live in a pretty dry climate here in central California.

At any rate, thanks again for the good info. Much appreciated!

Misting is something that is more for the grower than the plant --- some people like to fuss over their plants daily, and misting is something they can do as often as they like. It doesn't really affect the humidity around the plant, though. You'd have to mist every 15 minutes to substantially raise the humidity. Even pebble/water trays don't raise the humidity much. If you're really concerned about humidity, you need to use a humidifier. The good news is that most houseplants, in my experience, are not as fussy about humidity as many sources would have you believe. Houseplants have well-developed powers of adaptability, and as long as the soil is kept in a good range of moisture/aeration, your environmental humidity (or lack there of) should be acceptable.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image