Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#377994 Oct 26th, 2013 at 01:47 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
This may sound like a dumb question but I've never grown geraniums from seed before? I don't know what the seed look like? I'm ripping up the flower heads and so far nothing is looking like seed to me? Perhaps they haven't gotten to the seeding stage yet? Can anyone describe? Thanks much.

DaisyM #377995 Oct 26th, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
No question is ever dumb--of that I am certain.

here is a link to some photos of Geranium heads. The brown ones are ready..
and also--you have a PM...(Private message)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...oto+of+Geranium+seed+heads&FORM=IGRE

"up at the top of this page is the words "my Stuff". When there is a blinking envelope, someone has sent you a private message (a PM). Click on this & then you will go to a page that has a list of messages---click on the one with a yellow envelope by it---and you will see a message.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
DaisyM #378000 Oct 27th, 2013 at 04:43 AM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Junie, thank you so much for the links and the PM. Well, think I found something that looks like seed. The dry stuff is all in a paper bag so I won't miss anything.. Hopefully there will be something to grow, if not, no big loss, I do have the original plant for stem cuttings. I've done that before with success. With the seed, when are they normally started for end of May planting..(ooo..so far away, but that is when we start our gardens around here in MB Canada...short growing season...l~o~n~g winter)? Hope the seed grows, it will be so neat to see my first seed grown geranium?

DaisyM #378012 Oct 27th, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
You do know that you can take the geranium indoors for the winter right?/
My MIl used to take hers to the basement & set them in a window well (or near a window so it could recieve some light in the winter) & then water sparingly. In the late spring after all fear of frost, put it back out & begin watering it as usual.

________

DaisyM #378038 Oct 28th, 2013 at 02:14 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, thanks, yes, I have it in my kitchen with a few blooms still on it, but it doesn't look all that hot at this point, (some leaves are starting to yellow) so think I will leave it as long as I can and then make some babies out of it. I will also leave the main stem in the basement if the sill will hold a pot. I cannot remember for the life of me when I started them the last time? Think I held out as long as the plant was still alive.

DaisyM #378041 Oct 28th, 2013 at 03:55 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
About the one you will leave in the pot. follow the directions below---if it will not fit on the sill, place it on a box or something so it will be up high enough or far back enough to get some sun from the window.
Try to do it this way:

1) bring it in in a pot...
2) Prune back the stems by 1/3 but do not take off too much.
3) water thoroughly 1 time a month.
4) Place it in bright, but indirect light. or you can place it under a grow light for 10 hours a day if no such light is available.
5) keep it in a cool dry place.
6) Place it out next spring or you can even plant it out in the soil then, but next fall you should take more care when digging it back up, so as to disturb the roots as little as possible.
7) after you have had it back outside for 2 weeks, caring for it as you have in previous springs/summers...you can cut back the dead and or leggy pieces.

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image