Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#377895 Oct 21st, 2013 at 05:18 AM
tardis Offline OP
OP Offline
I've had this plant since it was bitty and for the past year it's done really well, every day has been a new leaf.

The past month or so though it's been looking sad, limp and no new growth. The leaves have all turned brown at the tips too frown

I noticed when I water it, the water would just run straight through and it has been in it's small pot for a while, so I thought it could use a bigger pot and moved it on Friday.

when I took it out of it's pot there was no excess soil, just coiled roots in the shape of the pot.

It has since perked up and is no longer limp in it's new pot. I noticed one small new leaf (very small).

Is my plant ok? Should I be doing anything else different?

I know it's stupid, but I really like this plant. I have no idea what it is, but it's pretty and my son and I have enjoyed watching it grow.

[Linked Image]
(sorry I am not very tech savvy, not sure if I posted the picture right)

tardis #377960 Oct 25th, 2013 at 09:22 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Wondering if it is a shade Lover?

I am thinking Prayer plant.. Not sure tho.

Lots of those types are shade lovers.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #377961 Oct 25th, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes, I think this is a variety of a prayer plant.
I do not think your plant is dying, not at all...

you were right to repot it, as these plants like to be repotted every spring with fresh soil. The best soil is a mix of 2 parts peat moss, 1 part loam & 1 part perlite or coarse sand. This mix will help the plant retain water.
(I will say my prayer plant, that is a differnt variety than yours, is in Miracle Grow potting soil and it seems to like it just fine.)

Try to keep your plant at a temperature below 65*F or if temps are higher than that keep up the humidity around this plant by misting it or by placing the pot on a tray of water with pebbles in it (the pebbles hold the pot up out of the water, so the water is not sucked up into the pot.) ..you could just set a tray of water right next to the pot as well.

most of the year keep the soil moist in the pot, but in the winter let the soil dry out to about half way down between waterings. This will let the plant go dormant for a while.

lastly it likes medium light just away from a South facing window. OR you can plazce it right in front of a east or south facing window but it cannot have direct light.---I have a heat/light filtering film on my west facing glass door, have the pot just to the side of it, & it likes it there just fine.

The brown tips I saw, could be because of too much sun, or too hot & stuffy of a room...try some Humidity or a cooler room as well.

In new members is a post stating how to post photos here---(although I saw your photo just fine) //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/297514/Posting_photos.html#Post297514 Most of us use Photobucket--it is free to use grin

Good luck & keep us posted.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #378045 Oct 28th, 2013 at 10:39 PM
tardis Offline OP
OP Offline
Awesome, thank you for the great tips! Summer just ended, and it was very hot and stuffy in my apartment throughout. Winter is approaching so it is getting better.

It's not in direct sun, although it could use more moisture, I will try the pebbles as you described, that sounds like it would look nice as well as being functional.

I need to buy more soil, I will get the one you mentioned next time. Thank you again for the tips!
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
Yes, I think this is a variety of a prayer plant.
I do not think your plant is dying, not at all...

you were right to repot it, as these plants like to be repotted every spring with fresh soil. The best soil is a mix of 2 parts peat moss, 1 part loam & 1 pa
rt perlite or coarse sand
. This mix will help the plant retain water.
(I will say my prayer plant, that is a differnt variety than yours, is in Miracle Grow potting soil and it seems to like it just fine.)

Try to keep your plant at a temperature below 65*F or if temps are higher than that keep up the humidity around this plant by misting it or by placing the pot on a tray of water with pebbles in it (the pebbles hold the pot up out of the water, so the water is not sucked up into the pot.) ..you could just set a tray of water right next to the pot as well.

most of the year keep the soil moist in the pot, but in the winter let the soil dry out to about half way down between waterings. This will let the plant go dormant for a while.

lastly it likes medium light just away from a South facing window. OR you can plazce it right in front of a east or south facing window but it cannot have direct light.---I have a heat/light filtering film on my west facing glass door, have the pot just to the side of it, & it likes it there just fine.

The brown tips I saw, could be because of too much sun, or too hot & stuffy of a room...try some Humidity or a cooler room as well.

In new members is a post stating how to post photos here---(although I saw your photo just fine) //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/297514/Posting_photos.html#Post297514 Most of us use Photobucket--it is free to use grin

Good luck & keep us posted.

tardis #378050 Oct 28th, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
So happy to please. Come back & keep us postred as to it's progress.

and I put a layer of rocks, the kind like in driveways (?) in the bottom of my pots, even the ones with drain holes, to aid in drainage. I do that for all my pots, so the dirt does not clog the drain hole.

________

JunieGirl #378239 Nov 6th, 2013 at 08:35 AM
tardis Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
So happy to please. Come back & keep us postred as to it's progress.

and I put a layer of rocks, the kind like in driveways (?) in the bottom of my pots, even the ones with drain holes, to aid in drainage. I do that for all my pots, so the dirt does not clog the drain hole.

I do the same :)

tardis #378240 Nov 6th, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
shewinks

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image