Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#377727 Oct 10th, 2013 at 11:15 AM
OP Offline
I recently bought a vanilla orchid for my boyfriend - he loves this plant, but it is not doing well.

We've been trying to water it about once a week, and keeping it out of direct sun, but when a few leaves died recently, we moved it into more sun to see if that would work. Now even more leaves seem to be dying.

Any advice? Also - the store where I bought it said it was a vanilla orchid, but I'm not sure. I have a picture but cannot figure out how to upload it with this post.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/297514/Posting_photos.html#Post297514

above is a link to explain how you can post a photo here.
Or you can go to the information by going to: "New members"--then Chose "Member Benefits"- then chose "Posting Photos" Most of us here use photobucket. it is free & easy to use.

it could be your Orchid is just stressed, say from re-potting or just moving form its original home to your house. They sometimes will lose leaves when they are stressed. As long as there is new growth there is no real need for concern.
--It is recommended to water well once a week, BUT that orchids do not like soggy feet, so a well draining orchid soil/and pot is recommended. These can be bought ready made. as long as the soil is wet but not soggy you are good there---so check the soil before each watering. Your orchid also needs less watering in the fall.

Orchids like humidity, (year around) so a humidifier in the room it is in is nice..but I know people who put a bowl of water filled with pebbles under (or very near) the plant. The pebbles will keep the pot & thus the plant out of the water. keep an eye on the water to keep it full and fresh.
I have used a pot tray with glass pebbles in it.

Orchids like light but not extra bright or direct light nor do they like heat.--an Orchid can get sunburn from a direct bright light or heat.--Your orchid does however like a morning south facing window for light. A perfect temperature is between 80*F & 90*F with somewhere around 70* at night.

hang in there & keep us informed.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I could never keep an orchid in my house, so my daughter would take them home. (People always brought me orchids when I was in the hospital for some reason... touched)
Rachel has all those orchids in the middle of her dining table, and they all bloom constantly. I don't know what she does..... why

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
OP Offline
Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful.

OP Offline
Thank you!!! I really appreciate the help. This is really helpful.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
You are welcome---

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image