Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#377607 Oct 5th, 2013 at 06:16 AM
Zepher Offline OP
OP Offline
So I am lucky enough to live very close to an apple orchard. This particular orchard has over 200 trees, with at around 120-140 unique varieties, some of which are quite rare. Every fall they open up the orchard to whoever wants to pick the apples (.50 per pound). One of my favorites is a tree that produces pink fleshed apples. I have made some great apple pies and crisps using them and the color (and flavor) is just fantastic! I believe the tree is a pink pearl variety or something like it. The apples are rather small and their skin is unremarkable. The flesh is pink, softer, and sometimes a little mealy when it's late in the season.

I have taken some seeds from these pink apples and currently have them in a plastic bag in the fridge for stratification.

Now, I understand that seeds are not true to their parent tree, and that they could end up being just about anything, especially since they could have been pollinated by pretty much any random variety in the area.

What I am personally hoping for in a best case scenario, is a tree that has the pink fleshed fruit of the mother tree mixed with something that would give the apple flesh a different texture. I won't be too picky as long as I can get that one pink gene to show, though.

But who knows what I'll actually end up with 10 or so years from now, lol. If something I grow ends up making for a good rootstock, perhaps I can graft a small branch or two from the pink pearl at some point in the future.

I plan on planting the seeds in pots this spring. I am currently a college student and so I move around frequently and do not have my own land to plant things into the ground. Perhaps in a few years when I am done with school and am a little more settled I could plant in the ground, but until then I have to settle with pots, re-potting to larger containers as needed. I have 10 or so seeds, and I plan on keeping the one or two healthiest ones that sprout.

I admit I am a little new to gardening, and my experience consists of mostly smaller herbs and a venus flytrap, and while I have been doing my best to learn and do as much research as I can, I could still use a lot of help and advice!

My little potted garden: Thyme, Rosemary, Chives, Sweet Basil, Spearmint, Lemon Balm, Cape Sundew, and a couple of Venus Flytraps.
Zepher #377608 Oct 5th, 2013 at 07:25 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Zepher. This is how most of us began gardening. With seeds or cuttings from our favorites, whether they were herbs, flowers or crops. Good luck!

Last edited by Tina; Oct 5th, 2013 at 07:26 AM. Reason: weather/whether issues

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #377609 Oct 5th, 2013 at 07:42 AM
Zepher Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Tina! :)

My little potted garden: Thyme, Rosemary, Chives, Sweet Basil, Spearmint, Lemon Balm, Cape Sundew, and a couple of Venus Flytraps.
Tina #377610 Oct 5th, 2013 at 08:05 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I am impressed !! I too wish you the best of luck !! thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Zepher #377618 Oct 6th, 2013 at 03:09 AM
Zepher Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks JunieGirl!

Does anyone know about how big apple tree seedlings can get in about 2 years?

Zepher #377620 Oct 6th, 2013 at 03:22 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
A two year old sapling can get to about 4-5 ft and still be able to be kept in an appropriate sized pot for root growth. I'm thinking after that you may need to put it in a fairly large pot that would require a dolly to move. Or into the ground somewhere.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image