Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#37575 May 4th, 2007 at 11:14 AM
LisaD Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,
This is my first time here. I hope someone can help. My Mom (74) was going to finally start her "dream garden" when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. This will be her last spring. So my sisters, brother and I are doing the garden. Since she can't be in the sun, I thought Moonflowers would be perfect. Well I bought some seeds. I've never grown anything in my life. My three and four year old boys helped me and then dumped them upside down two days later. Also, my sister told me you need to knick the seeds and soak them first. I didn't do any of that either so I didn't expect anything to grow. Well, I have 14 moonflower seedlings and NO CLUE. And fungus or something is growing on four of the Jiffy Pots. I don't know what to do. I'll be planting them on Mother's day if they make it that long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you! grin

Lisa
LisaD #37667 May 4th, 2007 at 12:46 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Lisa
where are you located? And are these moon flower bush or vine??? I grow a white moon flower bush and a pod from last year I accidentely left on the ground and Now I have maaaaany seeds coming up however I will just leave them to grow!.. I live in Tx so I have mine already in ground that gets morning sun~ afternoon shade( simply because it's sooo hot here in the summer) other wise those areas where it doesn't get soo hot in the summer the moon flowers can take full sun,, AS far as the fungus growth I would remove the seedling from the effected peat pot starts and replant ( if you want into the ground or in another pot,,)

Moon flowers love humus compost as soil~ and don't like to get too dried out once they are in ground<- Keep watered and feed with a 20-20- 20 fetilizer. IF the leaves are turning yellow IT's either too much water OR it's roots are out growing the starter pots!,, What color is the "fungus" and do you have the pots covered as the seedlings are coming up>>? IF you have the seeds pots covered remove the covering so air can circulate . Once the second set of leaves come on and the third set begins you can plant in ground.
Is there any other info you can give us,, Like are you starting these inside.. and how many leaves are on the seedling>>?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #37752 May 4th, 2007 at 05:16 PM
LisaD Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you sooo much for your help. I will replant into new pots. I planted them Easter weekend (inside). They are vines and they're not covered but I may have watered them too much. It's white fuzzy stuff and some of it is turning green. I had to separate all that I could about a week ago and I used different pots, so that may be the problem too.
There are four or five leaves on each one and other leaves are starting. I live on Long Island though so I was trying to wait as long as I could before putting them in Mom's garden. I also read they should be planted when it's a new moon. I'm going to plant them on Mother's Day which is two days before a new moon. And thanks to you I know more about how to plant them.
I really appreciate your help! And that angel blossom is beautiful, I've never seen one before.

Lisa
LisaD #37756 May 4th, 2007 at 05:36 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Lisa before you plant in the ground or container pot remember to "harden them Off" take outside a few hours a day so they will get used to the air, wind, sun etc, extend the hours after a couple of days and bring back in @ night, By the 6th day or so leave out over night( weather permitting) and leave on out untill ready to go in ground, This will help provide the growing 'stem' with strength!! Funny you mention the New Moon theory ~ I only do that with my own moon flower seed vines!!! But the moon flower bush stays in ground year round!

Ohh Actually the flower is not an Angelbloom( angelblossom is my screen name) it's a fushia. That is a "button" that was made for me here. I just looked for a flower that closely resembled an angel and the Fushia just happened to be the one!! But thankyou anyway Lisa It is a very pretty flower!!
Happy growing with the Moon flower Vine and My wish is that it will bloom beautifully and bring a smile to your Mom's face, The smell of the moon flower is lovely as well!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image