Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#376509 Sep 4th, 2013 at 01:34 PM
OP Offline
Hi all. Newbie here.

I was just wondering about horse manure. I have access to tons of it. Wet stuff. I live in a very hot climate and I wanted to know if I laid it out in a thin-esh layer on some black plastic or even on the ground in full sun, would it cook it enough to kill nasty pathogens and such? If so how many days would I do this to the fresh/ semi-fresh manure? I want to be able to plant and use it quickly.

Manure Man #376513 Sep 4th, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes, you can use horse manure for fertilizing. But it must be composted properly. You must consider the nitrogen as well as the pathogens. Set aside an area for the manure so it can break down to the point of not being recognoizable as horse manure. When it is ready, it will look like fresh soil & will have absolutely NO smell. This could take a year or more, so be prepared to be patient.

I am sorry to say you should not use it quickly. But there is always next year.

I was talking to my Husband about this. (his family is/were Grain elevator owners for generations & so he knows a bit about gardening/farming in general.

He reminded me that when we lived on a small farm, my uncle came over every year to get fresh horse manure from us for his garden. he would work the manure in well with his exsisting soil. BUT having said that, I do not think I would use ANY kind of fresh manure...you would not wish to burn or contaminate your plants.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image