Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#36553 May 2nd, 2007 at 07:24 PM
OP Offline
Hello! My name is Mandy. I live in Boise, ID (zone 5a or 6 depending where you look).

I planted four euonymus plants near the begining of April. Now two of them are dropping leaves, and I am afraid they are going to die! When we created the bed to landscape, we pulled up grass and dug up the dirt to 2 feet instead of rototilling. We also added sterile topsoil to fill the bed and mixed it with the existing soil. I made sure that the bed was deep enough to hold a mature and full grown bush, and I was careful to plant them over 5 feet apart. When I planted the bushes, I followed several suggestions, including adding mulch and potting soil to the hole, using a root stimulant fertilizer and adding tree/shrub spikes. The four plants are small, I think the biggest container we bought was a gallon container.

In the middle of April, we had a few frosts, but the plants are supposed to be hardy to -10, -20, -30 degrees F. Does anyone think they may have frozen since they were new transplants? If they are frozen, will they come back next year, or are they dead? The nursery I bought them from has a 1 year guarantee, and they already said that they'd exchange them, but I want to avoid that if there is a chance that I can save them.

I have two Harlequin euonymus, Euonymus fortunei 'Harlequin,' one is doing wonderfully, and the other is losing leaves like crazy.

[Linked Image]
(The un-healthy one)

[Linked Image]
(The healthy one)

The third one (the second plant I am worried about), is a golden euonymus, Euonymus japonica 'aureo marginata,' and it's doing the same thing.
[Linked Image]

The fourth is a golden maiden euonymus, Euonymus japonica 'golden maiden,' but it's also doing well.
[Linked Image]

Anyway,thanks for reading my post, and I'm excited to look around at the forum!

OP Offline
I forgot to add: I have been applying a product that is called Thrive from a locally run and owned nursery/feed store. It is a shrub and tree fertilizer that is meant to help save a dying shrub or tree. I have used it before on shrubs and trees that I thought were going to die, and they have come back beautifully!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I would give them a little more time and watch for new growth. They've had a few shocks in their short life time. You have plenty of time on your warranty to wait it out.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #37605 May 4th, 2007 at 11:52 AM
OP Offline
^Thahanks for the input. I have never seen a plant react to transplanting this poorly! I am keeping my eyes on the problem. I don't want them to die!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image