Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#265743 Feb 28th, 2009 at 03:51 PM
OP Offline
Hi,
I was given some delicious tangerines from a lady who grows them in her back yard. I'd like to know if I used the seeds to grow trees, will I get the same fruits?
Also, how to start a tangerine seed? Should I just plant them in some good soil or start them off in a glass of water...?
Any advice is appreciated.

Enjoy your day!
Donna
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Hi Donna. Most commercial tangerine and other citrus trees are grafted trees onto hardy root systems. That means they take the tree part of a delicious fruit and cut it off and grow it on to a root that is disease and insect resistant and grows strong.
When the fruit blooms insects usually pollinate it for seed production and the fruit is just fine. But if insects pollinate with a different type of fruit tree the seeds inside the fruit may be a cross breed between your lovely tangerines and some other citrus. This can make for some interesting fruit grown from those seeds, sometimes very good and other times not so.
Now all of that being said, you can try growing your own from the seeds you have. Make sure they are dry. Plant in soil and keep evenly moist. A glass of water is not recommended.
You do not need to feed seeds. They come with all of the nutrition they need to begin their life. After it gets for or so sets of true leaves then you can feed lightly.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
By the way, It is funny to see your location as El Cajon. I live in Cajon Pass.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
arn't most tangerine's a hybird,so they won't grow from your seeds why

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Tangerines are not hybrids. But tangelos are.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
If you plant a Tangerine (Mandarin) seed, your seed will produce true to the mother tree. F1 hybrids from cross pollination does not affect citrus. Tangerine seeds, and for that matter most citrus varieties, produce nucellar embryos, therefore you will get a fruit exactly like the the fruit the seed was taken from. If the seedling tree is grown well, a tangerine from seed it will take approximately 5 years before the tree becomes mature and begins to flower and fruit. If you wish to grow a citrus tree from seed that will give you fruit the quickest, then plant a Key Lime seed. From the planting of a Key Lime seed to fruit can be as soon as the second year. Good luck. - Millet

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in November
Gardening in December
Gardening in January

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,787
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,005
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image