Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#375508 Aug 18th, 2013 at 07:57 AM
OP Offline
What's causing this? Too little light? Too little fertilizer? Too much EMR maybe? Btw it flowered several weeks ago. [img]http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p550/dja427/msg082250446835.jpg?t=1376866523[/img]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I can't see anything wrong with it, it has the same growing requirements as your Dieffenbachia does. Indirect light, moist but not wet soil, not Direct light.
What exactly do you think is going on with it??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
OP Offline
Originally Posted by angelblossom
I can't see anything wrong with it, it has the same growing requirements as your Dieffenbachia does. Indirect light, moist but not wet soil, not Direct light.
What exactly do you think is going on with it??

The thing is, all the new leaves grow really small and they stay small and don't grow any bigger even after months.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

it could be a number of things,
Nutrient deficiency have you been feeding it this past spring and summer with even numbered plant food? Insufficient light does it get bright but indirect light? - Pot bound roots how long has it been in the pot it's now in?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
It gets good light, but no, it's never been feed. I find it weird that It flowered a few weeks ago though.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
nah that's normal it must be a mature plant for it to bloom.
How long has it been in the pot it's in??

If it's been in the same pot for over a year or more it's time to repot, I'd do it asap as fall is approaching .

Last edited by angelblossom; Aug 18th, 2013 at 09:17 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
About a year and a half.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I think I would repot it it may be root bound and needs to stretch out it's roots. I don't know any other reason the leaves growing are now stunted and don't grow any bigger. Maybe someone else here can come along and answer your question better than I can?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
What's a good brand of potting soil to use, and should the pot be any deeper or just wider?

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
pots should always be 2" bigger than the last pot they were in - in depth and in width, Potting soil for houseplants - a rich one with good drainage, any brand that is rich in nutrients, maybe go to a nursery and ask them what they have that is best to use, and add at least 1/4 perlite to the mix for added drainage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
How about Espoma potting soil? I heard it was much better than Miracle Grow.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
only IF it's for INDOOR Plants, outdoor potting soil is not made for indoor plants. I would still add perlite to the soil for extra drainage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
It says for outdoor AND indoor

OP Offline
Would repotting in a plastic pot be okay? I don't feel like spending a bunch of money on terra cotta. Is there a difference between glazed and plastic pots regarding moisture?

Last edited by Dryairfoliage; Aug 18th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Tara cotta pots don't retain moisture as well as they are porous and the pot will absorb the moisture as well as the soil, Glazed is okay as long as there is adequate drain holes in the bottom, Plastic I use primarily for moisture retention and I use for both indoor and out door.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Your Ag looks nice and healthy. There are many varieties on the market, and some just have smaller leaves than others, so you apparently have a smaller-leafed type.
If I were going to repot an ag, I'd use a soilless potting mix, as this is what is used by growers and interior landscapers.
Regarding new pots, 1 size up is the rule - 6" to 8", 8" to 10", 10" to 12" and so on. Pots are measured by the diameter across the top. Plastic is just fine. Learn a tip from the professionals, and pot your plants in plastic grow pots (you can probably get all you need free from any nursery), then put those into pretty containers - it's called double potting...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG9PImILzh8

OP Offline
Originally Posted by theficuswrangler
Your Ag looks nice and healthy. There are many varieties on the market, and some just have smaller leaves than others, so you apparently have a smaller-leafed type.
If I were going to repot an ag, I'd use a soilless potting mix, as this is what is used by growers and interior landscapers.
Regarding new pots, 1 size up is the rule - 6" to 8", 8" to 10", 10" to 12" and so on. Pots are measured by the diameter across the top. Plastic is just fine. Learn a tip from the professionals, and pot your plants in plastic grow pots (you can probably get all you need free from any nursery), then put those into pretty containers - it's called double potting...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG9PImILzh8

I think it needed more root space. When I re potted it I saw that half the root ball wasn't even in soil so that's what the problem probably was. After all it's not normal for a plant that normally grows 8in leaves to all of a sudden grow 5in, then 4in, and 3in leaves.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image