Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
JunieGirl #375389 Aug 16th, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Carol, found the prettys , and did comment..
Sheri...yes she is very talented in everything she does.
Shes a real sweetie... Ps...she loves yellow. LOL

Dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Shirley4 #375399 Aug 16th, 2013 at 12:17 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Dodge I'm with you,, I don't like to be around people that drink (booze) a lot, they can never keep their stories straight, adrink egad , Not very becoming of a ladies either. I have a mixed drink every once in a great while,for a special occasion but that is it.
Got two of the boys enrolled one more to go. The two oldest boys take the school bus to school. One on opposite corners for bus pickup an hour and 1/2 apart from each other. The 7 yr old I take to a daycare center, they then take "schoolers" in thier bus, and pick them up from school and then I get the 7 year old from the day care when I get off work.
The list of school supplies is ridiculous! It's close to 100$ each for everything they have to have on their list. I will get only what they need to get started for the first 6 weeks and will continue to get as they need it, I'm not gonna spend 300$ for school supplies that the entire class room will share. I don't think that's right, tapfoot I think every child should have their own things with their name on it noone can use it,, I mean they want me to bring 6 large boxes of kleenex, 6 hand sanitizers, 6 rolls of paper towels, 4 glue sticks,4 boxes of crayons, 24 pkg of colored pencils and about 20 other things on the list on the first day of school, NOT gonna happen. And that is just for the 2nd grade, imagine what middle school and High school needs, egad

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #375409 Aug 16th, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
OM goodness, Diane. I do not blame you !!

The kleenex I understand---
at our school each child had to bring 3 boxes at the beginning of the year. BUT that was so then the teacher always had kleenex on hand for little noses & such, and that was your commitment for the whole year....BUT The rest ?? that is rediculous. I agree, if it were me, I would just send what Julian needs for himself, too.

11:24pm

Nite Nite everyone--Sweet Dreams

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #375418 Aug 16th, 2013 at 08:28 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Gad
What is the world comin to?
Bad enough we have to pay taxes and outfit the kids .. My granddaughter carrys her lunch.
Not for school cooking.

Ours puts names on their stuff.. Coats too.
Have to ask if there is all that crap involved... Maybe teachers take some home?
With their salary they could proved .Daaa

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Shirley4 #375420 Aug 16th, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Good morning breakfast

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #375421 Aug 16th, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Good Morning.........Shirley,
Only 68ยบ here.. Send Sun.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Shirley4 #375422 Aug 16th, 2013 at 09:25 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
good morning, we had a cool front move in, only supposed to be in the 90's this weekend lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Shirley4 #375425 Aug 16th, 2013 at 09:32 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I love being able to bring in school supplies at the beginning of the year and all throughout the year. It is not required here at all. But I know it is appreciated. And it is fun for me as long as I can afford it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
angelblossom #375426 Aug 16th, 2013 at 09:32 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Keep that .. 75 is enough for me :ding:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Shirley4 #375433 Aug 17th, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Good Morning ,

I know exactly what you mean Diane.. Nicoli's list included 60 pencils.. 6 tissue boxed and 6 sanitizers... 5 crayon boxes.. 24 each.. that's just what I remember... Timba's was even worse.. 1000 sheets of ruled paper... if you multiply it out for each kid... it's a lot of stuff... oh yes one asked for 3 paper towel rolls each... I think they must take it home too.. where would they find room to store it all! Derek's was bad too... I don't understand the hand sanitizer.. I was in the school last week and they had a big flat wheeled cart with at least 20 2 gal each bottles of the stuff... seems like enough to last a while for whole school..
We are in 90's again here too.. not to bad most of day... just back to watering .. there goes my water bill again... laughed at weather report last night.. said first snow could come as early as Sept 3... hope it doesn't change as fast as that but it could I guess.. has snowed in mtns already .....

Well off to get busy.. finish laundry and work on blanket too maybe..

Nana

[Linked Image]
Shirley4 #375438 Aug 17th, 2013 at 08:08 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
exactly Nana,, too many supplies required now days, due to programs getting cut across the board for education.
I believe school supplies was one of the first.
My two oldest ones have classes on line this year, the teacher assigned to the class actually teaches on line in the evening, plus they take their test on line, eliminating books.So what do they pay the teachers to do during the school day?? Probably a study hall type thing I guess why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Shirley4 #375439 Aug 17th, 2013 at 09:06 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Oh Man,, I'm so hungry I've got a headache,, I took 4 hour nap this afternoon, got up at 4:30 am, missed the afternoon and it was a nice day out today boohoo Think I'll heat up some chk/noodle soup.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #375440 Aug 17th, 2013 at 09:15 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Try pnut butter sandwich with it.. Lots of protein.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Shirley4 #375455 Aug 17th, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Hi everyone. Raining raining raining.

About schools and school supplies

I don't know about each state but in North Carolina the State nor the school has supplied things like pencils, glue, kleenex for a long time if ever. My children always had to have their own supplies. I never questioned it. I found when I went to work in the schools that books and crepe paper are about the only things that are supplied and whatever else is needed or if a student doesn't have their own supplies the teacher ends up buying it herself/himself which should not happen. I think schools have gone to asking parents to bring supplies that are put in a basket and used by everyone because some parents refuse to send supplies for their child. I also found out that the school system doesn't supply even the health room with kleenex. If I wanted kleenex in the health room I had to supply them. I even called the Kleenex company and asked for donations and received a big NO as the answer. We're told to use toilet paper or paper towels. I did buy kleenex but I had to keep it hidden or a teacher or student would steal it right off my desk. I also had to lock up any desk supplies, like stapler, pencils, paper clips, at the end of the day or they'd get taken. Those of you who work in an office think about it. What if you had to buy your own work supplies to be able to do your job. It's ridiculous. I was the only one in the office one day so I answered the phone and before I could say anything an irate mother said "JaQuan doesn't have his homework today and he won't have it any day unless Mrs. Hinson sends home paper and pencil to do it. I send him to school and that's my part of it." And she hung up. Unfortunately a LOT of parents think that way.

As far as online classes, we haven't gone to that for regular school here but I took some for my Masters and I think the teachers are still responsible for make daily plans, making out tests, grading online tests, doing any tutoring that is required, taking phone calls, having conferences if necessary and all the other stuff.

I think tax dollars go to pay salaries for things other than teachers, like school building, Xerox machines, the media center, school Superintendent and Lord only knows what.

I do know that NC teachers have not had a raise in 6 years now so if your first year teaching was 6 years ago you're still making a new teacher salary which, if you're a single parent, qualifies your children for Medicaid and you for food stamps because you're living at the poverty level as put forth by the federal government.

Shirley4 #375464 Aug 17th, 2013 at 11:14 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I agree Sheri Teachers/ school nurses and staff are well Underpaid for sure! Funny how supplies are different from state to state for the students. Special Ed schools and Private schools are not required to bring in things other than notebooks their own pencils, paper.People like me can't shuck out 300 at the beginning of the school year for supplies,and I don't qualify for assistance in supplies.
Like I said I will get them supplies every six weeks , I do have to get him(Julian) 2 binders, and glossy folders with pockets. pencil bag, the necessary items to get him going But I'm not walking in 2 large boxes of items in on the first day. #1 I couldn't carry it all by my self, #2 I'm not walking that far( parking is awful) to go back and get another box, I did that last year not gonna happen this year.OH and I forgot about Snacks for everyone, last year I got two of the gallon size boxes of gold fish snacks, so that was even a third trip back to the car egad Besides I have to take in his nebulizer and albuteral along with everything else the first day. I have to always remember their Mother never got them anything at all for school, not even clothes, I try to get clothes and supplies but limited on both. Hard to do this alone, I can only do so much by my self .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Shirley4 #375465 Aug 17th, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Here we get a huge list of stuff and it's all shared between the students in the class; the PTA for a couple of years bought everything and the parents reimbursed them, but some parents didn't and they ended up having to eat the cost and decided to go back to parents provide.

I don't really like the idea that the "not exactly cheapest" things I buy for my kid goes to everyone in the class and all their parents had to do is provide the cheapest thing possible and my son has to end up using whatever he's given (Hey, I bought Angry Birds for a reason! lol).

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Shirley4 #375468 Aug 17th, 2013 at 01:39 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My kids have never gotten a list until high school. And even then it was for a few items like special notebooks and scientific calculators. From middle school on up they needed to bring in personal pencil and paper on a daily basis.
We provided John's classes with the notebooks he liked them to have and had our own xerox machine and reams of paper at home to do the tests and things he needed to do for his classes.
Out of pocket expenses for teachers is heavy duty sometimes. I agree.
Ted is in Special ed (kindergarten for 3 more years) even though he would be a college junior this year in regular life. They do provide most of what the kids need. I provide extras and fun stuff. I get glue and glue sticks, craft and construction paper, markers and colored pencils for his whole class. Then I get to shop for fun foam shapes and anything else that tickles my fancy. I take him to school daily and constantly ask what may be needed, like printer ink or anything else. I am given a wish list once in a while. The first day it was liquid hand soap. I brought in a couple gallons plus some small plunger jars to refill when I went back to pick him up that first day.
This is fun for me but I would object to being given a list like your students get. I could not have afforded it in my 30's when my 3 older children were in school. I could barely keep them in shoes.
Sweet dreams all. It is to be even cooler tomorrow so I'm hoping to get some things done around here.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Shirley4 #375472 Aug 17th, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Weird, we get a list at the "Open House" that they do a week or so before school starts (which IMHO is too little time to get everything together), but that's when we learn the teachers name and tour the classroom and sign up for school conferences... That's next Wednesday now that I think of it lol... It's been so chaotic lately that I completely spaced, but I guess it gives me a little time to get things together (Trey has an Individualized Education Plan because of his Autism so we get to train a new teacher lol).

And yeah, it can be a pain financially sometimes, on top of new shoes, new school clothes and a new backpack it's all of his school supplies for the year; all at once lol.

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Shirley4 #375473 Aug 17th, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
coffee 'Mornin'

I was awake at 2:40am and finally decided to get up! So here I sit. rolz

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #375474 Aug 17th, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Its morning already? I was just about to go to bed...

Gremelin #375475 Aug 17th, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I woke at 6..i need more exercise to sleep well.

Sunday an may rain.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image