Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
#37282 May 3rd, 2007 at 10:39 PM
OP Offline
I bought a HUGE aloe plant recently, very strange looking, almost like an alien of some sort.

After just two weeks it send up this huge celery like arm that at the end looks almost like a strange flower.

Attached is a photo. Not sure if I should cut this off, or what the deal is.

Any ideas?

Brown.Recluse

[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi brownrecluse....

your aloe is flowering.... thtaz d flower stalk with buds.... so think u can let it bloom....

Have a nice day!

i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
My aloe is flowering now too. But mine is much smaller and one of the variegated varieties.

[Linked Image]
Yep, that's definitely the flower stalk and flowers

Sherri
500 Posts
500 Posts
Please don't cut it off!! Your plant is doing the best that it can for you. Enjoy its efforts. Please. Do you growany other aloe? Almost all aloe species are not self fertile, but if you have others and you are interested in propigation, you can clip and freeze the stamens and fertlize others. Anyway, please post anoyher pic when the flowers open!

May God bless the WHOLE world!
I just spotted your post. I purchased a similar or identical aloe about 3 yrs ago. It sprouts the same bud spikes once a year and last year it sprouted two. You may have noticed by now that the flowers have withered and dropped, and the spike will dry out and get hard. At this time I have been cutting it off with a sharp scissor very close to the stalk. I also find that as the flowers drop, they leave a sticky residue on the leaves which I usually remove with some mild soapy water. Last year It got so big that I had to go to Home Depot and buy the biggest pot they had and transplanted it in cactus mix and some coarse sand w/a little organic fertilizer mixed in. Since then the thing has been sprouting offspring galore, which I slice off and plant. It is kind of becoming overwhelming, but is very cool. Last time my wife and I had to carry it outdoors through a sliding door to transplant it, but now I don't think it will fit, so if I were able to find a larger pot, I'd probably have to put down a dropcloth and do it in the dining room where it resides. I am by no means an expert, and my suggestions are only from my experience and intuition. If anyone knows of any interesting uses or processes for the leaves, I would like to hear. I have seen similar leaves sold in the produce section of supermarkets, but no one has been able to tell me what can be done with them.

Good Luck.

RMorr

500 Posts
500 Posts
About 3 species of aloe have medicinal uses, that I know of. Aloe vera and A. Ferox have skin conditioning properties, and I believe A. Arboresence (sp.) does too. Some aloe cause rashes of varying severity and none are to be eaten, again, that I know of. So, before you start applying it topically, you need to know what kind of aloe you've got. Can you post a pic of the whole plant? It sounds like you've got a beautiful one!

May God bless the WHOLE world!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image