Print Thread
Rate Thread
#373555 Jul 20th, 2013 at 06:48 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I wanted to post this under site news but no one but administrators can start a new topic there.
Changes Here,,,,,,,,
When changes are made to what I consider the "face" of pages, would you please let us know about it instead of us discovering it on our own??
That is where confusion and dislikes come into play.
Then we have to ask questions and debate whether it's a good thing or not regardless if our opinions matter or not.. we still will say how we feel about it. Well some of us will, some will just fuss about it in the back ground.
I don't know how long the ^ v buttons have been on here,, I just saw them and clicked to see what it did. It hides ( collapses )what you don't want to see listed, but just click the opposite and you'll see it again. Don't understand the point of it , but okay. I for one would always keep it open. If it's hidden ( collapsed) I'd forget other threads were under it. why notme
It's not a bad thing or a Bad change, it really doesn't matter on something like this BUT,, Just wanted to say I discovered it , again it may have been on here a long while I just never noticed it until today, why lol
yes I'm always looking for something different lol I do like the Go to page v button on forums that have multiple pages like banter hall thumbup

btw what happened to the "rate this topic" option?? I thought I saw it a while back, but can't find it now??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #373556 Jul 20th, 2013 at 07:27 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
I don't see the ^ v buttons you are talking about, but I'm like you, I wouldn't use them to collapse anything because I would forget what was under there.

I do see Rate This Topic right above here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
angelblossom #373557 Jul 20th, 2013 at 07:30 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I see topic options but not rate this topic why

the button are in the admin news, and photo gallery and on every post where you can change the letter size colors etc, and in banter hall by page listings and little white ones on other topics forums,, haven't figured out the white ones yet lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #373559 Jul 20th, 2013 at 07:34 AM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
The only changes that've been made on the forum are the changes to the Who's Online and the changes to the Newest Members islands, these aren't really recent however. The only other notable change was the short lived upload to this server option, which since some people where unable to SEE the files, ended up removed.

As for the V and ^ that collapse things, those have been there through the entire v7 series of the forum software...

As for you opinions, they're great, I love reading them, but things like the core functionality of the forum software are non-negotiable; I'd have to modify stock files that would introduce errors into the system, so whatever is in the stock forum software will always be the current set of features on the forum.

As for things like the Who's Online; I HAVE to have a method of tracking users each day, and the stock version was not doing what I needed for the site, so it got modified and relocated (it's now on the main page of the forum, at the bottom of the page, too much data displays to be in the sidebar any further).

I understand that you don't like change, but some things have to be changed to be more friendly to the server, such as the 24 hour cache time on the who's online among other things.

I try to keep you apprised of things as they happen, but a lot of these changes are requirements and are non-negotiable, this includes the CDN and Forum Upgrades (I will NOT run outdated software because people don't like how things function, old software requires upgrades due to security issues).

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Gremelin #373564 Jul 20th, 2013 at 09:05 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Gremelin

As for things like the Who's Online; I HAVE to have a method of tracking users each day, and the stock version was not doing what I needed for the site, so it got modified and relocated (it's now on the main page of the forum, at the bottom of the page, too much data displays to be in the sidebar any further).

I understand that you don't like change, but some things have to be changed to be more friendly to the server, such as the 24 hour cache time on the who's online among other things.

I try to keep you apprised of things as they happen, but a lot of these changes are requirements and are non-negotiable, this includes the CDN and Forum Upgrades (I will NOT run outdated software because people don't like how things function, old software requires upgrades due to security issues).

It's not that we don't like change altogether it's that we didn't understand WHY it needed to be changed. You have to remember after many years of seeing things in the same spot it takes some getting used to seeing things in other spots and looking for them.
I believe the main issue was that we wanted to be able to view who was on line at the same time we were, and it shows that now, I think at first when it first changed it didn't for a few days, or at least we couldn't tell who was on line exactly at the same time we are. Now we can and it's all good thumbup
I really don't mean to sound aggressive , I just speak my mind and I don't believe in sugar coating or sounding syrupy that's not who I am, and I equally appreciate your frankness in explaining the 'system'. I do realize it's different than what Bill had, and since I/We are not technical savvy I/We have no idea the requirements to be held in order to be within the guidelines of non negotiable.
I wasn't complaining about the ^v buttons I was just making note I noticed them and as I said earlier they may have been here a long time I just hadn't noticed them before.As it turns out they HAVE been here quite a while, I just hadn't noticed them when Bill was in Charge, why
I also realize this Change over is as different for you as it is for us.Although you are still on the technical end of it you also are forefront of the social aspect~~~~~~~ if we all work together and keep each other informed it will be a happier place. That my goal anyway. hifive grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #373565 Jul 20th, 2013 at 09:13 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I still can't find "who is online" I can find "recent visitors" and "new" but I don't see "who". I liked it the other way but it is what it is.

Bestofour #373566 Jul 20th, 2013 at 09:21 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
I still can't find "who is online" I can find "recent visitors" and "new" but I don't see "who". I liked it the other way but it is what it is.

Sheri Recent Visitors is the 'New' Who's on line, the ones on now are at the top of the list, if there is anyone now and as the list goes down who has been on is in chronological order.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #373644 Jul 21st, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Thanks. Still don't like it. I'm such a whiner. cry

Bestofour #373646 Jul 21st, 2013 at 01:10 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well, I do not appreciate change either, but now that I understand it, it is ok with me...I cannot "see' the information instantly, but I can see it if I so chose, so it is all good by me.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #373665 Jul 21st, 2013 at 02:26 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
well, I do not appreciate change either, but now that I understand it, it is ok with me...I cannot "see' the information instantly, but I can see it if I so chose, so it is all good by me.

I pretty much feel this same way. Change is not always comfortable. But this is doable.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image