Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#373048 Jul 12th, 2013 at 10:41 AM
OP Offline
I just got a Curcuma plant a few days ago (the white one, not the pink) and was wondering about any diseases I should be aware of and what I need to do in order to prevent or cure, if the unfortunate stuff hits? The plant is quite healthy looking (except a couple of very small brownish spots on a mature leaf. I bought it like that).

The plant is potted, about 2 ft high. The pot also has 3 other young plants (2 of them are just a few leaves each, 1--2 ft high. The 3rd has a very young flower growing). I'm on my cell...so can't post any pics right now (it really is a pain this way). Also, is it OK to feed it Miracle Gro all purpose water soluble fertilizer designed for houseplants? I watered it thoroughly a couple of days ago, the potting mix is quite moist so I haven't watered since. I did mist the leaves a couple of times/day though. Is that OK? (the room temp is 25.5 C and there's lot of lights, both natural and from potlights + floor lamp).

Thanks!!

Last edited by Priyanka; Jul 12th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have never heard of a Curcuma plant so I had to look it up.
Love the blooms on it,, interesting plant. I read that since its tropical it would need humidity so misting around it I'm sure doesn't hurt it.
I also read that because of their pungent nature, curcumas suffer from few pest or disease problems. But Issues such as spider mites occur when soil becomes overly dry. Especially in the winter or Summer if it's near an AC or Heating Vent. For spider mites Use a solution of 3 tbl spoons of dishwashing liquid to a full spray bottle of water and spray your plant especially under the leaves.
IF your leaves become spotted and yellowing and dropping, place a piece of white paper under the leave, tap on the top of the leave, if little tiny black dots fall on your paper you have spider mites.
Fungal diseases can often be prevented by watering the soil, rather than the foliage. As houseplants, curcumas appreciate filtered light and high humidity' make sure there is adequate air circulation between house plants, don't crowd them together .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
OP Offline
Thanks! Looks like I have most of these things covered. The leaves are healthy, nothing on them (except water spots thanks to hard water...but I cleaned them off a few hours ago with lemon juice. Saw seversl peaople discussing its effectiveness). The plant has lots of room, the nearest plants are two 4" pots. The room is well ventilated with fan and 3 windows (though the latter aren't full sized but the temp is 25.5 C and that's in July with no heating). My floors are heated in the Winter but I guess placing the pot on a pebbled bowl/tray would keep it fine. In fact I'll get a bowl/tray for it soon, since it will appreciate the humidity now as well!

Last edited by Priyanka; Jul 12th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,869
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image