Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
OP Offline
Hi everyone! I went on a walk today and smelled the most HEAVENLY scent coming from this certain tree. When I walked up to it, it had white clustered blossoms all over it. It was a big tree. I still cant believe how good the flowers smell, they are amazing! They smell like gardenia to me. I can't stop smelling the little cluster that I picked to ID it lol! Here is a picture (the flowers are a bit wilted, I had to charge my camera batteries before taking the pictures!) I hope someone can help me ID this tree! I want one BADLY now. lol
[Linked Image]

Last edited by gardenkitten; May 3rd, 2007 at 06:41 PM.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
tea olive. they smell wonderful, and there is a rare orange variety too! i want one, but haven't gotten that far!

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
gardenkitty, what zone are you in??? i looked tea olive up and it's supposedly only hardy in zone 8-10.

it's a beautiful bush/tree and just the right size for my yard and if the flowers smell that wonderful, then i gotta have one!! grin if it's hardy where you are, then it's gotta be okay here!!

Zone 6b
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
To me, it looks like some kind of an apple blossom...
but can't see the leaves too well...

*Can you put the picture a little closer to the
screen so I can smell it, will ya!!! ahahahahaha*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Probably a variety of white flowering crabapple. Crabapple Trees are in bloom right now all across MI. Blooms consist of 5 petals rather rounded or oval at the top.

Your county extension office should have a list of white crabapple disease resistant varieties you can choose from. Work with an independent nursery that deals with trees. They can give you pointers on planting and care.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yup, ornamental crabapple tree gets my vote.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
Thanks so much to everyone who responded! I just looked up Ornamental Crabapple Tree, and that definitely looks to be what it is! I can't believe the flowers on a crab apple tree would smell sooo good like this. Now I'll just have to try to figure out the variety. I wonder if all the varieties smell so good!

Last edited by gardenkitten; May 4th, 2007 at 07:12 AM.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I've got a 'Rudolph', it has deep pink flowers and smells heavenly.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
I am sure it isn't but the blooms look like my lemon tree an man do they smell good! but you are in MI and they do not grow there. I would guess a fruit tree blossem. Wait for a month and see

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image