Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#372239 Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:39 PM
spunky1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All,

I just joined this forum and am so excited! Does anyone else here care for a night-blooming jasmine plant?

I just bought one and love it. It doesn't have flowers yet. I am new to plant care and am trying to learn to do everything right by Ms. Jasmine :).

So she kept getting yellow leaves when she was in our a/c house in Michigan for the first week. I googled around but couldn't figure out why this was. I wasn't overwatering I don't think (I'd water but then let it drain in the sink), didn't get the leaves wet, was using filtered water, etc. Any ideas?

Just an FYI for whatever reason- I just gave her some bloom booster the other day, as I can't wait for those flowers!

So I also just moved her outside two days ago because I hear they love the summer humidity. She looks great so far- the leaves have gotten glossy! But, the leaves have already gotten holes eaten in them, and I found an aphid on one of them. Is that a sign that I should move the plant back inside? Will aphids destroy my girl? Or should I just spray water on them when I see them, to remove them, and otherwise not worry about it?

Thank you so much for any tips. I know this is a bit of a rare plant in this country, but I'm hoping there might be a couple enthusiasts out there!

Best,
Dee

spunky1 #372244 Jul 1st, 2013 at 01:37 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome Dee. Firstly, I murder house plants. The good news for me is that I can grow most of the ones I want outdoors. I have a couple of night blooming jasmine shrubs in my yard. I love them.
Holes in the leaves and aphids are two different pest problems. One sucking, one chewing. My favorite fix for both would be to put water into a quart spray bottle then a squirt (about a tablespoon) of liquid dish detergent in with it. Shake it a little to mix then spray the plant. More detergent is not good but that amount should not harm the plant. Bugs do not like it. Make sure to get underneath the leaves as well.
Good luck.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
spunky1 #372308 Jul 1st, 2013 at 08:50 PM
spunky1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much for the pest advice!!! I will try that today- glad it won't harm the plant.

spunky1 #372309 Jul 1st, 2013 at 08:55 PM
spunky1 Offline OP
OP Offline
By the way, when does your NB jasmine flower? I'm so so so excited for those and wondering when I'll see them. Also, what kind of fertilizer do you use?

spunky1 #372311 Jul 1st, 2013 at 09:57 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
One of my shrubs does not bloom much at all. I think that is because it does not get enough un. The other blooms on warm summer nights and is stunning. The flowers are nothing to write home about but the scent is heavenly. I feed them Osmocote most of the time. A slow release because I am lazy and forget to feed much.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
spunky1 #372314 Jul 1st, 2013 at 11:11 PM
spunky1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you! I have mine facing West on the covered deck behind our house. Should get plenty of indirect sun so I'm crossing my fingers for flowers!

spunky1 #373037 Jul 12th, 2013 at 06:15 AM
I have a jasmine. I tried to find out what kind of jasmine it is, and looks like it's Arabian. Mine also seems to bloom at night. It's potted and here's what I do:

The pot sits on top of a large bowl (a big soup bowl part of a nice dinner set. I didn't have anything else so I used that as a temporary option. Then the black & white design went well with the red pot...so kept it :p) with river rocks (purchased from the dollar store. They're natural) and water. The water never touches the jasmine pot, it's there to keep humidity high around the plant (they pretty much have same requirements as Phal orchids. I also have those).

The plant gets watered once a week and a regular misting (just like my orchids). I feed it a weak weekly Miracle Gro all-purpose water soluble fertilizer designed for house plants once a month (i recently started so only fed twice so far). My semi-basement is very bright, I dont have to turn on the lights during the day...with lots of potlights and 2 wide south facing windows. The plant sits on my kitchen peninsula under a few potlights.

And that is all!! When I bought the plant everyone told me my plant will never rebloom, it will die, the leaves will be all yellow blah blah blah. LIES. My plant has second sets of flowers, 10 big buds and 2 flowers have already bloomed on both old & NEW branches. They are SO fragrant! I swear the sizes are larger than when I bought them (thanks to Miracle Gro?)

spunky1 #373038 Jul 12th, 2013 at 06:19 AM
Oh I also regularly check for dead/dying leaves + twigs, and clean them up as soon as I see any. Cleanliness is also very important!

I also put my plant outside to get some fresh air. Never again man. I will never put my houseplants outside ever again. All of them ended up with bugs on them. To me, that is putting good & perfectly healthy plants into danger of unnecessary bug infestation. I managed to take them to my bathtub and washed. the bugs out. Seriously, don't do it. Just do what I do. They'll be healthier!

Last edited by Priyanka; Jul 12th, 2013 at 06:25 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image