Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
mj1957 Offline OP
OP Offline
I've had this plant for years and still have no idea what it is. Can someone help me??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
It's called the Devils Back bone,, Pedilanthus tithymalpides ‘Variegatus’ is known by many common names,rick-rack plant, red bird flower, and including variegated devil’s backbone.
Yours looks very healthy,, on rare occasion it will set a bloom, A red one,that kinda looks like a Cardinal's head. grin
I had one of these for years. I moved, and it didn't like the move. boohoo
I don't see these often, Glad you joined and posted it! You've done a wonderful job taking care of it grin clap

somewhere on here I posted a picture of mine probably about 5 years ago,, I'll have to do a search to find it thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, mj. I am not sure what your plant is. It resembles my silver euonymous but I don't think my plants would do so well in a pot or indoors.
I hope someone comes along with a better answer for you. Good luck.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
It's called the Devils Back bone,, Pedilanthus tithymalpides ‘Variegatus’ is known by many common names,rick-rack plant, red bird flower, and including variegated devil’s backbone.
Yours looks very healthy,, on rare occasion it will set a bloom, A red one,that kinda looks like a Cardinal's head. grin
I had one of these for years. I moved, and it didn't like the move. boohoo
I don't see these often, Glad you joined and posted it! You've done a wonderful job taking care of it grin clap

somewhere on here I posted a picture of mine probably about 5 years ago,, I'll have to do a search to find it thumbup

Here is a picture of mine,, grin
[Linked Image]

Mine bloomed once, it was near 15 years old.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Welcome, that is a sweet flower. Never seen it before.

Stay a while.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
mj1957 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you both for answering...Angelblossom, mine has flowered before. I've cut this back numerous times and all my daughter-in-laws have their own now. Thank you for the identification, been wondering for a very long time and have done research, just never could figure it out. Thanks again!

mj1957 Offline OP
OP Offline
Beautiful Angelblossom...mine is at least that old. I moved from Irving, TX about 15 yrs ago and had it before I moved out of TX. So probably older than 15 yrs.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Irving?? I'm live in Arlington,, I can't find them anywhere here since I lost mine when I moved from grand prairie to Arlington. My dog was attacked by a pitbull while we were loading the uhaul and I had to leave to get my doggy to a vet,( BTW She made it fine but was in really bad shape when we found a vet that was open),, I had to trust my friends to finish loading the truck and get me moved as I couldn't be there.
Long story short they left my DBB out side all night and we got a frost that night and as a result I lost my DBB. I've looked and looked and haven't found one since. boohoo
I see you're in MO now,, I'm originally from KS. IF you ever cut it back again I'd love to have a start!
Look around and get comfy here.. We have a coffee house we talk about all things, family , social issues, grandkids, etc, Glad you joined us!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
mj1957 Offline OP
OP Offline
Absolutely! Be glad to send you cuttings. Just let me know how and where to. I've never mailed plants, so need proper mailing instructions. Too bad you aren't close by, I have vase of water full of the plant, just waiting for someone to want it. This will be a thank you for finally putting a name to the plant! //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/images/icons/default/smile.gif

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I will Private message you my address, Thank you so much! look for the flashing envelope at the top of your page where it says,, My Stuff clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We have this plant all over the country that I was born in. It's a very tropical country and this is a very populr plant. We had several of this in pots. I never saw one after coming to Canada...totally forgot about it! This so reminds me of my childhood! I never knew the name either. If I remember correctly...I think if you snap a branch, a thick white sap comes out. I broke so many just to see the sap hahaha...damn I should've been kinder to them :(

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by mj1957
Absolutely! Be glad to send you cuttings. Just let me know how and where to. I've never mailed plants, so need proper mailing instructions. Too bad you aren't close by, I have vase of water full of the plant, just waiting for someone to want it. This will be a thank you for finally putting a name to the plant!

Mary thank you! I received your DBB today! clap

They were a little warm so I put them in water with a touch of super thrive in it, just to give it it's mojo back! Thank you so very Much,, another day or two and they will perk right up! shewinks

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
That was very nice of Mary, Diane. I know you will take very good care of it, and it will soon be one more wonderful part of your plant "collection".

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
mj1957 Offline OP
OP Offline
Diane - I am sooo glad you got the Devils Backbone. Perhaps in the future I will do better in mailing. If you need or want more, just let me know. I am so excited you got the plant.

The history behind the plant is that I originally got the plant from my sister. She lives in Irving...would be neat if you two could meet one day, she is even "cooler" than me! IF that is possible???? I brought it from Texas to Arkansas to Missouri and now it is back in Texas, made a full circle. EXCITING!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Mary maybe she would like to join here??
My sister is a member user name (jayhawk) she doesn't do plants or garden, but she is crafty, sews her granddaughter dresses, makes quilts, and plays in the game room with us.
We'd love to have your sister here!
I've met several members here and have spoken to even more over the phone and even flew to Washington to meet them, we had a great time, several of us have meet members. Having a meet and great is awesome!
I met Jimmy ( lives in Irving tx) from here and now we are great friends and see each other all the time he went with me today to the Plumeria growers home.

BTW you mailed the DBB perfectly thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Gee I missed all the fun.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
mj1957 Offline OP
OP Offline
Diane, you are correct...I will mention the forum to her, I bet she would enjoy it as much as I do!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image