Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#371998 Jun 25th, 2013 at 10:44 AM
OP Offline
Hello ya'all! I'm fairly new to gardening and was hoping someone could give me some insite on a couple plants that I've recently planted. I ordered some hibiscus, some red painted daisies, and a red heart rose of Sharon tree from a nursery and they came bare root. I planted them and out of 6 hibiscus, only one is growing some green. Should I just leave them alone or are they more than likely dead? Also, I planted bare root red painted daisies and so far, I've seen no growth or green. Will they eventually grow? All the other plants I've planted bare root are showing great growth. The rose of Sharon tree I planted has no growth either. I peeled away a branch and it's still green inside and I noticed that there are more roots growing, will any of my plants grow? I need help on what going on because those are the 3 plants I wanted the most cry
Thanks, any help would be appreciated! grin

Blondee
Blondee29 #372001 Jun 25th, 2013 at 11:08 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hello Blondee wavy .... Welcome to the forum grin

You made great choices with beautiful blooming plants clap
I love hibiscus my self.
I guess my first question is,, did you dig the holes deep and wide enough and fill in with a rich soil? Rich soil meaning a good organic mix with peat moss maybe even some bone meal?
You have to water it probably daily until it's established then it will take it's own and grow.
It takes time for roots to establish in a new environment and new soil. As long as you see green and the stock isn't soft you should be fine, be patient. Every 3rd watering I would add a some plant food whether it's miracle grow or one of your choice( you can call your local nursery and they will recommend you one as well)
You didn't mention how long ago you planted, weeks or days, so it's hard to say whether they are yet established.
Since you already see new growth in most of them I wouldn't worry too much, :wink:

You didn't say what growing zone you're in,, I'm in Texas so both the hibiscus and rose of sharon are hardy here and come back every year, and get bigger and better with each year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Blondee29 #372008 Jun 25th, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Here in zone 6, rose of Sharon is a bushy tree, so it's hardy. As for hibiscus, it depends on which one. There are some that are tropical and do not survive winters here, and then there are hardy ones that I can never grow because the deer eat them down to the ground each time and they do not return.

Diane gave some great advice as to what to do with your bare rooted plants. I hope you have success with them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Blondee29 #372009 Jun 25th, 2013 at 01:24 PM
OP Offline
Thanks! I believe I dug my holes deep and wide enough. Then I used compost to fill in the hole after I planted. I planted my plants a little over a month ago. I probably need to give them more time but I'm impatient LOL, I want pretty colors. luv I am in zone 5. My grandmother has hibiscus that come back every year. As far as what kind of hibiscus I bought, I have no idea. When I bought them from a website, it stated it was mixed colors, so I'm really not sure what type I have. I have not treated any of my plants with fertilizer yet but I will get on that! I guess I should also mention that after I put in my new flower bed, it had became infested with moles madd (so far we caught 4 and haven't seen any signs of others), so I think they may have interrupted growth.

Blondee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image