Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#371360 Jun 13th, 2013 at 05:56 AM
OP Offline
Hello I am new here and I hope someone can help me. I also hope I chose the correct forum. I have several potted palms and one is turning dark brown on some of the trunks. I consider them indoor palms due to them being under our big roof with no wall to the south. They have been on the property for many years under a transparent fiberglass patio roof. We moved them inside about a year and a half ago. We live at 5200 feet in the mountains of Oaxaca Mexico I am inserting a photo.

Thank you in advance for any assistance

Calvin

I was going to add a photo but cant seem to find the "File Manager" link.

"When creating a new thread or response, you'll see a "File Manager" link on the "Full Reply" or "New Post" page. When selecting this option you'll receive a popup which will allow you to attach files to your post."

Last edited by Calvinder; Jun 13th, 2013 at 06:20 AM.

Warm regards from Oaxaca
Calvin
Calvinder #371374 Jun 13th, 2013 at 08:23 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Welcome Calvin,, wavy
Most of us use Photobucket to load our pictures on here,, Photo bucket is free, Just load your pics from your computer to Photobucket,, click on your picture in photobucket, on the right side of the page will be a list of ways to transfer them to another site,, click on the image line to copy and paste your pic to your post here,

when you say the trunks are turning brown do you mean they are getting "woody"? (hard) if so that's a sign of maturity,,
If not then it's light,water or soil issues,,
are the trunks brown and soft? =too much water possible root rot
try to get a picture here so we can see okay??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Calvinder #371383 Jun 13th, 2013 at 09:19 AM
OP Offline

Last edited by Calvinder; Jun 13th, 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Warm regards from Oaxaca
Calvin
Calvinder #371406 Jun 13th, 2013 at 08:04 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
It appears to be healthy Calvin, looks like it's very mature and is getting a woody stock,, as long as the stock isn't soft it should be fine. thumbup make sure the soil isn't "old" it should be refreshed with soil( the first few inches at least every spring/summer)

don't know why it put the link to the picture instead of showing the picture here in the post why usually when you click on the bottom image line it automatically copies it and then you just click Paste within your post. You can always click on preview after you post to see what you post looks like before you submit. :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Calvinder #371416 Jun 13th, 2013 at 11:46 PM
OP Offline
It is not soft but the hole palm has stopped growing the new fronds will not open and one that is half way has been like that for a month. Yesterday the top broke off one of the brown trunks. I think the dirt is very old. They came with the property when we bought it and we have done nothing with them. The dirt is also far from the top of the pot. so maybe root bound.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Calvinder; Jun 13th, 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Warm regards from Oaxaca
Calvin
Calvinder #371422 Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:14 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I certainly would change the soil asap,, Make sure your NEW pot has plenty of drainage,,, you can get miracle grow soil for palms/ citrus trees, and add some humus to the soil if you want. They are heavy feeder, so 20-20-20 would be good for your palm.. It's probably starving for nutrients boohoo make SURE you Don't get the miracle grow with extra added moisture retainer,, and get the soil for INDOOR Palms, NOT OUTSIDE Palm soil,
IF you're going to keep it in the house, be sure to boost up the humidity. Either place a humidifier near it or an Indoor fountain near it, You can also spritz it daily but remember that is temporary humidity , unless you want to spritz it every couple of hours,, notme .
IF there is not enough humidity you risk the chance of spider mites and they suck the juice out of leaves, and Fronds will come out curled, yellow and never open,. boohoo and eventually hurt the entire palm. Tips of the plant growing curled, yellowing, and dropping is a tell tale sign.
IF you want to take it outside during the growing season, remember where it was when you moved in, and place it there, it must have done well there. thumbup
I don't know exactly the name of the palm you have, as some plants require FULL sun while most like indirect light,

When you repot it,, upon the first watering,just keep watering it until the water stays in, because at first the water will run straight out, just water until the soil holds the water But DON"T let it SIT in water. IF you put your new pot inside of another Pot make sure the outter pot also has drain holes, you don't want any water standing in the larger pot. On your second watering if the soil feel dry down to your second knuckle on your index finger then water again with the 20-20-20 .Continue the 20-20-20 with every third watering during the growing season, in the winter slow your watering to once a month and stop with the 20-20-20 until spring, usually fertilize april thru september only and Up the humidity since the heat would be on.
Never place a palm near a ac/heater vent, as it will dry it out, thus risking spider mites . I have found Spider mites like to attack when plants that require humidity are allowed to dry out,, I've lost many a plants until I was told about spider mites zoink boohoo
Keep us Updated on how your Palm is doing,, Hopefully a nursery near you, or home depot, lowes etc, will have the palm/citrus soil you should have for her?/ Him? :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Calvinder #371448 Jun 15th, 2013 at 01:21 AM
OP Offline
Thanks again for your Ideas . I think the thing to do is re pot but I hate to have to brake those nice big pots. they have a large lip on the inside and we will not get the plants out.

Boosting humidity and those other ideas (Ie. turning up the heat) will not be possible as I stated in my first post we have no wall to the south or north for that matter. Also it is rainy season humidity is not a problem. That is why I said "I consider them indoor palms due to them being under our big roof" It's hard for people to grasp the layout of our house with out seeing it. No home depot or any other store like that here in Oaxaca Mexico. Apparently one coming. We have someone coming over from a nursery this afternoon to give us ideas on plants and trees good for this aria we will ask her. I will post her suggestions. There are many different soils available here so I think we will find the right one.

[Linked Image]
The palm we are talking about is on the right by the bus. (Yes we have a bus in our living room)

Warm regards from Oaxaca
Calvin
Calvinder #371449 Jun 15th, 2013 at 02:22 AM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
That looks pretty cool; I like it :)

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Calvinder #371450 Jun 15th, 2013 at 03:43 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhh I see,, fantastic!!! Love that! I guess humidity wouldn't be the problem . lol well I would have the nursery bring the right soil for your palm, and I understand about not wanting to break the big pot, I once had a rubber tree in a larger outside pot with a lip, I had to lay it on it's side and take it out at an angle, it was challenging to say the least but I didn't break the big pot! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Calvinder #371453 Jun 15th, 2013 at 04:26 AM
OP Offline
Well the man from the nursery was very knowable.
He agreed they where root bound and we would have to change pot size or plant them out in our garden. Also said they where not the best palms for indoors and told us of others that we could get here and would be good in or home. I am going to try cutting the top of the pots so I can get them out with out having to brake the pots. We have a large lot so I think we can find a good home for them out side.

Thanks again Angelblossom

Warm regards from Oaxaca
Calvin
Calvinder #371454 Jun 15th, 2013 at 04:32 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
your welcome, and Good Planting grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image