Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#369317 May 5th, 2013 at 12:16 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
I asked how to get fat tomato stems in a previous post, some joke on me, now I'm not even fortunate enough to have my seedlings grow. When the problems first arose, I thought my seedlings were getting better, at first they seemed to. Not so anymore. First year this happened to me that I won't be planting my own tomatos in the spring. The seedlings are pretty much the same size they were a month and a half ago. Absolutely no growth since. Out of 20 tomato seedlings, only 2 look like they will make it. The seedlings are not only small but the 2-3 leaves on each tomato are yellow and stay that way for quite a while before they shrivel away. However when I have pulled some, the roots are strong and thicker than they usually are. Also, my mother in law which is known for growing her prize like tomato plants has none this year either, she has the same weird growth like I do, her seedlings look identical to mine. We both bought the same soil at Wal Mart and we both water with the same water supply. It has to be one of those things? What else can it be?
We won't be able to salvage any this year, we will have to buy our tomato plants, but it sure would be nice to know what happened this year to both of our tomato seedlings?
P.s
pepper seedlings are no better, they are the same with absolutely no growth for several weeks.

Last edited by DaisyM; May 5th, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Just noticed this post now...has there been any change this week??

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
HOPE MINE R OK SHORT AN FAT SO FAR TELL US THE RESULTS..AN BLIGFT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Put your soil snug but not tightly pressed down in a clear solo cup any color. Go to your local home Depot and buy a 8 dollar work light that clips. Buy a 10 dollar 2 pack of ecosmart lights 5000k color temperature (its like 700 or 750 lumens)... use this to start your plants up to 8 to 10 inches..

first youll plant your seed and water it moist but not drenched but make sure that seed is in water and should feel wet. Place in front of a heater on low for judt 3 to 4 hours a day. Should be like 2 and a half 3 feet from the heater. This will make things haopen faster or u can leave it outside as long as it doesnt rain... udually only have to rewet soil only once if that before germination..

after you see your first signs of growth give them light from 3 inches away. Yes 3 inches. These lights dont give off heat. Plants need complete darkness for 6 to 8 hours a night. But if you dont give them a full 16 hours of light its alright. Usually if your exact everday at the same time you see best results

once the roots are all tight at the bottom of the cup thats called rooting the plant and you can transplant it by squeezing the cup and dropping it into soil in a spot that is shady and sunlit throughout thr day

I have 6 at once under one. Light. They grow tall put a fan. On thrm lightky to strength. And keep. Turning the cups so they. Lean away from light and get wind from all sides... o yea these are cfl bulbs compact flourescant lighting ... and btw 2700k color temp is for flowering... this was my method for starting a seeds and the wind combined with the healthy close lightning is what creates thick stems... these lights I told you to buy are weak but great plant starters at close range... plant will grow slower then your used to because it wont be reaching for the light with you showering it with lumens....... o yea and in these solo cups once you see your plant turn your soil around the plant to aerate the soul and be careful of over watering its very easy to.... you never really want it as wet as you water it for the first time... white mold will grow easy and solo cups will hold moisture deep in the bottom while still being somewhat dry at the top... and dont water the plant water the outside brim of the cup to promote rooting... you could still be successful this year.... your other plants sounded like they werent rooted proper... you need to see the roots at the bottom of the soil and it should hold together well while transolanting... thats why I use a clear cup to see how well the roots will hold up on the bottom keeping its shaoe.... I actually went to take a look at a bunch of other gardens in the ny area and everyone that always did well had burnt plants here in ny.... its been harsh conditions and small inch and a half tall plants without a great root system will not survive in the sun for too long... wouldve done better in a pot by a window.... I almost killed an 8 foot tall tomato plant I was doing indoors by putting it outside on the deck .... now its doung well right up against the house in mostly shade... I hope this helps

Last edited by jcbl00b0il; Jun 6th, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, I just noticed replies to this post. Update....I lost all of them, one of 24 survived. Thank you for the advice. Will use the information for next year.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image