Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi Everybody,

I'm a new member and look forward to my time on this forum. I have finally decided to start taking care of my lawn. I want to remove weeds and plant a crepe myrtle tree as well as some hedges and horsemint plants which is effective at repelling mosquitoes and attracting pollinators. First I need to make the soil healthy after years of neglect. Here are 2 pictures of my lawn:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

From my research I have discovered that those white flowers are actually clover weeds. I have read that a Hori Hori knife would work well for removing them. I would like to do this with the least amount of chemicals as possible since we have cats and raccoons in the area, so if removing them by hand is what it takes then I am willing to put in the time. What I am unsure of is after removing them, will I then be able to seed the lawn and renew the lawn with the black soil that I see people using when they want to start their lawn anew. I have no idea what the black soil is called. I assume that when the soil is renewed with the black soil (compost?) then I can plant the crepe myrtle tree, horsemint plants and shrubs?

Last edited by CaramelSmoothie; May 23rd, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
OP Offline
Oh dear, I meant to post this in the Organic Gardening board. Mods, can you move this thread to that forum please. Thank you!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I would probably take a flat wide shovel and "scape" the first 2" of top soil off,, that way you can also get roots out.
Then I would get some compost and top soil and amend it together on top of the "raw" soil,, and using a rake to even it back out,
THEN seed it in your choice grass seed that you want.( OR> lay plats of turf(grass) down and water daily Both grass or Plats of Turf, until seeds are up and going or plats become established.
I don't know if that is the correct way, But I believe that is what I would do. I hope someone else comes along and makes further suggestions,, I can always learn something new my self thumbup teach

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
OP Offline
Thank you Angelblossom. I was visualizing the process as I read your answer and it seems sensible. I have a lot of weeds and unhealthy grass so it would make sense to just scrape the top layer off and replace it with healthy soil. At that point I could plant the trees and plants. I would love for others to chime in with their past experiences on a problem like this.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
thumbup good I'm glad I created a visual for you,, and I too hope others chime in and do some suggesting teach

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image