Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Suzanna Offline OP
OP Offline
To bring a little bit of different color into my yard, I bought an Irish Gold and a John F Kennedy. The Irish Gold seems to be doing all right but I'm worried about my JFK.

When I got it on Monday, it had several closed buds. I gave it a lot of water when I planted it, per the instructions in a book on roses that I have. Later that day, I read up on black spot and realized my other roses were afflicted with it. I made a recipe of 1 tablespoon vinegar, one-fourth of an aspirin, and a quart of water to spray my roses down. I even sprayed the new ones just to be safe.

Today (Wednesday), I've noticed that none of the buds on the JFK have opened and that they are drooping. I thought, "It must need water." But on closer inspection, I noticed that on one of the buds, the petal was turning brown, which I had read was a sign of too much water.

So, now I'm all confused and don't know what to do. Advice?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Honestly...when I plant new roses I cut off the rose buds and trim it back. It then sends all it's growth into the root system to establish itself instead of trying to produce flowers.

Just let it rest for a few days...it might just be transplant shock.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I have never been able to handle roses - whether on a bush, or cut for a vase - because they always wilt. A long time ago, someone told me that some people have something in their chemistry that makes roses wilt when they touch them. Whether it's an acid, enzyme or something else, they weren't sure, but I always found that interesting and since then only handle roses with gloves. This could all be a wives tail, who knows?

That all said... I just bought a new rose bush 2 days ago. I haven't been able to grow roses outdoors because the @#%$ deer eat them down to the ground, thorns and all! But I also bought some new to me stuff called Deer Scram, and am going to give it a try around this bush as well as my perennials.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Suzanna Offline OP
OP Offline
The bush is blooming beautifully now, so I think it must have been transplant shock. Thank you so much for the advice!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image