Print Thread
Rate Thread
#366465 Mar 16th, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I wish you all lived closer to me. The sedum that I've been babying along has decided to crawl over the mums over the winter. Now I need a lot more sedum but not there. Can you please give me some tips about how to take the piece that is in the wrong place and put it in a better place?

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #366469 Mar 16th, 2013 at 09:57 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
is it a shallow rooted sedum?? IF it is I just pulled mine up and replant somewhere else,, There are so many kinds of sedum it's hard to say how to remove it. I have one that is a woody stock and deep roots, I have to dig them out to move them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
tkhooper #366471 Mar 16th, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
These are the Golden Sedum. Does that help? They aren't woody, they are slow growing. I got them from Burpee's a couple of years ago.

I don't want to take the entire clump, I just want to take the part of the plant that is growing over the mums. I didn't know they would do that.

So like maybe a six inch piece to give the mums breathing space. Am I looking for rootlets and disloging them from the soil and then cutting on the other side of the rootlets Or do I have to take the entire plant from root to tip?

Last edited by tkhooper; Mar 16th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #366665 Mar 19th, 2013 at 09:18 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
These are the Golden Sedum. Does that help? They aren't woody, they are slow growing. I got them from Burpee's a couple of years ago.

I don't want to take the entire clump, I just want to take the part of the plant that is growing over the mums.

So like maybe a six inch piece to give the mums breathing space. Am I looking for rootlets and disloging them from the soil and then cutting on the other side of the rootlets Or do I have to take the entire plant from root to tip?

yep look for the little rootlings and remove them and replant,, I'm thinking that when you separate them tho new shoots will start?? Maybe not but, it's worth a try.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
tkhooper #366670 Mar 19th, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Divide golden sedum every three to four years to keep the plant neat and to promote vigorous growth. To divide golden sedum, dig the plant with a garden fork or shovel, then pull the plant into smaller sections. Each small clump will root, as long as the clump has four or five shoots and a healthy root system. Prepare a sunny spot for the divisions ahead of time, then plant the divisions in the prepared spot immediately.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image