Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#365378 Feb 25th, 2013 at 01:39 AM
OP Offline
So I recently bought a new aloe plant. I wasn't able to save the last one. I really want to make sure I don't mess up with this one too so I was looking for any and all tips? I haven't even repotted it or anything yet.

Ive loved houseplants ever since I was a kid, my grandmother taught me. Majored in Floriculture in High School.
ShinyDragonfly #365556 Feb 28th, 2013 at 03:32 PM
OP Offline
So today I noticed little silver buggies in the soil of my aloe. I'm positive they're the same as my plants at home even though this plant has never been at my house nor near any plants that have. I would really love some advice on care- I'm afraid to use the spray I normally use as I don't want to repeat anything I did to the other aloe that might have contributed to it's death. However, I'm also afraid to not do anything and have the contribute to it's death.

Ive loved houseplants ever since I was a kid, my grandmother taught me. Majored in Floriculture in High School.
ShinyDragonfly #365560 Feb 28th, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I don't know what the proper thing to do is, but I had that problem once and re-potted the aloe in a different (clean) pot with new potting soil, after I washed the plant off gently in a sink of soapy water. Worked for me.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
ShinyDragonfly #365658 Mar 3rd, 2013 at 01:13 AM
OP Offline
The soap won't kill it?

I can definitely try it.

ShinyDragonfly #365668 Mar 3rd, 2013 at 05:13 AM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I don't use much soap...just a dab will do it!

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

ShinyDragonfly #365949 Mar 6th, 2013 at 03:10 PM
OP Offline
It lost two leaves in the process, one slipped off while washing, one snapped off while I was trying to get it out of the pot. The broken leaf seems to have sealed up, I haven't noticed any more bugs- I saw a flying one in my room today but haven't seen any on the plants or in the soil. I'm hoping things are okay.

ShinyDragonfly #365972 Mar 7th, 2013 at 05:29 AM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I hope it works OK for you.
The best that my aloe ever looked was when I moved to my daughter's while in the process of a divorce years ago. They unloaded my plants in her basement...I carried them all upstairs and didn't see the aloe plants (5 pots of them) that were behind some large furniture. 5 months later when i moved into my own place and was moving my furniture out there were the aloe plants, and they were BEAUTIFUL. Had gone that long with no sun or water. I couldn't believe it!

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

ShinyDragonfly #365974 Mar 7th, 2013 at 06:13 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Aloe do thrive on neglect. Mine are in the ground outside. More water travels over them and through their roots than is ever recommended for potted ones. But they thrive and I can go out and cut off a 4-5 pound leaf.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
ShinyDragonfly #365976 Mar 7th, 2013 at 06:25 AM
OP Offline
Taking care of my plants is like therapy for me- I love caring for them. I only have 5 plants with me at my school so it's hard to not over do it with all of them. I've started writing on the calendar when I water them so I know not to over do it. How long should it be between waterings for the aloe? My room is very hot right now as it's small and the heat is always on in the building.

There's about two inches of snow on the ground and more falling so I don't think my little aloe will ever see the outside world lol! New England.

4-5 pound leaf!! Tina, could you share pictures? I'd love to see it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image