Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20218 Apr 11th, 2007 at 05:13 PM
OP Offline
A search of this didn't help, but I think we discussed it before...
My neighbor's tree roots (and maybe a little of my own) are taking over my garden. I want to know how to cut them off and how I can till this year, etc. I haven't tilled for 2 years, just used the garden claw. Last year I planted annual flowers down at the worst part and then onions next to that. This year I need to do something. I don't know if a big tiller can handle it and I don't know how to get one here and use it, since DH had back surgery. I ordered Billy May's awesome auger and it is supposed to be able to cut through roots. So I'm not sure if I can just use that at the end or what. Also what is the stuff that stops them from coming back in?
I'm trying to find a garden to borrow in exchange for produce but so far I have gotten no bites. I just need more room!!!

Tamara from Minnesota #20390 Apr 12th, 2007 at 04:26 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
You might want to go carefully. You may not want to kill your neighbor's tree.

I fight mimosa tree roots constantly in my garden and it is the pits. I haven't found a way to stop them from growing. I dig up the small ones but when they are bigger I just plant around them. I'm not strong enough to do anything with those and I don't have any garden equipment.

Good luck with your root problem.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #20402 Apr 12th, 2007 at 04:51 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi Tamara from Minnesota, Tamara from New Brunswick here.

How big is the space you have to work with? You can also build raised beds for growing vegetables. Cutting roots on trees is going to damage them. Do you have a pic of your property or area to give us a better idea?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #20816 Apr 12th, 2007 at 04:21 PM
OP Offline
I don't want to sound like a jerk but my garden was there first! The neighbor planted silver maples right next to my garden around the border of his yard. My garden is only 25x25 and part of that is perennials. The space between my garden and his chain link fence is just enough to get the lawn mower through. I don't have any space to expand the garden. I am putting ads up in town to 'rent' garden space.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
These are pictures from a couple years ago. The end by the trees has gotten so bad! I really need the space and I might not find another garden to garden in. If I can't get rid of the trees roots in will mean I will have to plant exactly like last year, with flowers on the bad end, onions next to that and potatoes furthest away from his yard.

Also the tops of his trees died right away and so they are just maple bushes. I wouldn't feel bad if they died. He has a shed right there too and rabbits nest under it. It would be better to have the area cleaned up.

Tamara from Minnesota #22292 Apr 14th, 2007 at 06:11 AM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
I would love to have that garden..
and that fence...
and the landscape fabric...
and the climbing thingies..

Gorgeous garden..

The only I know of to get some of the roots away,
is to chop them straight down from the soil line down..
and sever them from the tree..

They are going over to your garden cause they travel at the
soil line and just below it, and are going for your nice, enriched, loose soil..
***Can ya blame them?***

I believe the law says you can cut a limb off that hangs
over your property... so I don't see why roots wouldn't
be included in that, but I would check with local laws..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
weezie13 #22315 Apr 14th, 2007 at 06:56 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Now I fully understand, your garden is beyond just starting up I see. Kind of a no win situation, you could chop the roots but are you ready for a mad neighbour if his trees died? You could do it while they're gone and they'd never know lol

Is that your backyard? All the fencing has me confused. Very beautiful and organized I must say, one great garden you've got there.

Sunflowers #22353 Apr 14th, 2007 at 08:21 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if you cut the roots on your side, and put down a vertical barrier (like the plastic edging only stronger/deeper) about 6 inches deeper than the deepest root you dig out and then those roots won't come back. and, you aren't going to kill the trees. they have more than enough room on his side to support the trees. the only thing you might do is cause them to fall over in a severe storm. somehow, i don't think you would mind that.

root trimming of trees (including silver maples, which are weeds here) is done all the time. if it wasn't, the cities couldn't work on sewer lines.

#22356 Apr 14th, 2007 at 08:26 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
beautiful garden by the way. thank you for the inspiration, i'm going to show this picture to my husband and try to get him to help me.

#22604 Apr 14th, 2007 at 04:45 PM
OP Offline
Thank you very much! I am dreading the thought of digging down and cutting the roots and then trying to cram in a barrier to keep them from coming back. nervous My husband will not be helping me this year at all unless it is to put the tiller in the truck when I am done. He had back surgery and really hates yard work anyway. The Awesome Auger thing I ordered takes 6-8 weeks for delivery! and so I will have to cut the roots by hand I guess. It still isn't planting time here yet, so my plan is to rent a large tiller Saturday and start at the good end. Then as I run into roots I will pull them up and cut them. But what should I put as a barrier? I think I will be in traction by Monday. tears

So the picture shows the corner of my small yard. The neighbor behind has a chain link fence there, as does the one to the other side (not shown). Then the neighbor on the other side has that post rail fence border in the corner. So I have 1-2 feet on each side of the garden. At least it is still sunny and last year we didn't have rabbits. Gardening is all about looking on the bright side! hmm maybe I will put that as my signature. ;)

Tamara from Minnesota #22818 Apr 14th, 2007 at 08:27 PM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Tamara from Minnesota
At least it is still sunny and last year we didn't have rabbits. Gardening is all about looking on the bright side! hmm maybe I will put that as my signature. ;)

So true Tamara...
So verrrrrrrry true..
Keep optimistic.. cause if you go the other way,
it can consume you..
Have fun with it, and you'll enjoy it so much better..

***And think of it as those trees' aren't no dumbies,
they know good soil when they see it..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
weezie13 #23070 Apr 15th, 2007 at 08:25 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it really depends on how deep the roots are. if they are surface, 4 inches down or so, i'd find used aluminum siding and slide it down, it will go easy and be just enough. if they are deeper... then you need something wider. think flat though. it doesnt take much to turn them back so a panel that is 1/8 inch thick, but 3ft long and 6 in wide will do the trick!

#23244 Apr 15th, 2007 at 02:04 PM
You have my sympathy Tamara. I struggled with silver maple roots for years. Roots will double back over each other if blocked. They crisscross and fill the space soil would occupy leaving a thin layer of surface soil that won't support growth. A backhoe had to be brought in to remove roots of one of our trees. We were left with a 5 ft. deep crater.

Root pruning with a straight edge spade will have to be a daily part of gardening. Start at the chain link fence. Work back to the garden border. Can the grass in that strip be removed and replaced with a soft mulch? A shallow trench at the fence line and against the border will help you spot roots. Root prune against the outside edge of border on the arbor side of the garden to stop any roots making it that far.

Check the garden bed itself for crossed roots. If they are present you will probably have to dig up a small section at a time to remove roots.

In this case you won't affect the trees by root pruning inside or at your property line. Roots traveling into your yard are searching out water.

Vertical veggie gardening may be an option until the root issue is resolved.

herbalyn #23324 Apr 15th, 2007 at 04:46 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Oh, now I understand. Your backyards all meet together.

Sunflowers #24147 Apr 16th, 2007 at 06:02 PM
OP Offline
Eek! I am getting more freaked out! I think I will stop at the garden center that does irrigation and other work and see if I could hire some help and what they suggest. I can't spend very much money but I know I can't even remove the sod there myself. I will go there Wednesday and figure out what to do. I have been doing some research online and could also ask the call in expert on the news this weekend. I think it is going to be a lot of work and it makes me want to pass out just thinking about it. I should have married a farmer! tears

Tamara from Minnesota #24240 Apr 17th, 2007 at 03:55 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Tamara from Minnesota
I should have married a farmer! tears

Trust me, no you shouldn't have lol
I'm off to do barn work mooo

Sunflowers #26055 Apr 18th, 2007 at 05:54 PM
OP Offline
Sob. I went to ask the expert at the nursery what to do about my garden. He says with silver maple it will be impossible to stop the roots. Even putting a barrier a foot deep will not stop them. Also everytime a root is cut two will grow back. So he says since they aren't real trees anyway I need to convince the neighbor to let me kill them. First I have to convince my husband to let me ask the neighbor about it. badday Then I think I will tell the neighbor that I will buy him another nice tree if he kills those two and plants a new tree on the other side. It is discourteous to plant so close to the edge and so close to someone's garden anyway. Then after the trees are chopped down vegetation killer has to be applied and then the roots will die. So I guess I will ask him soon and start saving for his tree. I won't offer the tree unless he seems reluctant, otherwise I'll just offer to help remove the tree to the compost facility.
Meanwhile, I shouldn't cut any roots and so I will have to till and plant as much as I can.

Tamara from Minnesota #32968 Apr 27th, 2007 at 07:39 PM
OP Offline
We tilled today and the roots weren't as bad as I expected. But then I was thinking that they don't grow over winter but late in the season is when they will be worse. But it looks like I can use most of my garden. If no one answers my ads for garden space my garden will have to do. The tiller we rented did get at the roots that were there so now I can work in there easier. I am delaying talking to the neighbor for now, but will bring up the subject at some point.

Tamara from Minnesota #33102 Apr 27th, 2007 at 09:45 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I'm having the same problems Tamara, only it's my own tree that's doing it. I had to give up one small garden space already because of tree roots. I can feel with you.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #33183 Apr 28th, 2007 at 06:50 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i have to disagree with the "expert". i think that you could barrier your garden to protect it from the worst of the roots. at least on the side the tree roots are coming from.

#33464 Apr 28th, 2007 at 06:54 PM
OP Offline
What an exasperating day! Turns out I was too optimistic about yesterday. The tiller was a beast to use! but did not go deep enough. Today I went out with a shovel so I could finalize what could go where and the roots were horrible. I spent almost an hour on one little area. I pulled them up and they are sticking out of the ground like trees. I am having a hard time fitting all I want to plant into the garden. Still no one has called about my ads for garden use and I don't have enough room for all my seedlings and the stuff I ordered. I am cutting out carrots this year but don't want to cut out anything else. Last year I planted tomatoes by the house but I don't want to do it again since they do better in the garden. I need to plant some stuff and I am not sure where to put it. why
Then the neighbor was back there when I was grilling and I was too chicken to talk with him. I only have the nerve when I am breaking my back over his roots and that is when I shouldn't say something. I think you guys are right about trying a barrier. I will have to hire someone to do it though as I can't physically do that much work myself even if I try and hub's back is close to needing another surgery. He freaked out over helping till yesterday and I don't want him to get injured. He is so big and strong and it is such a waste! I am so tiny and have such a spirit to work! Well I am veering off topic. It did feel good to get the roots pulled out but it was tough! I will need to plant napa cabbage, broccoli rabe and pok choy there real soon.

Tamara from Minnesota #33567 Apr 28th, 2007 at 09:51 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
tamara, put your tomatos in 5 gallon buckets in the garden. it will solve the tree root problem (the buckets can sit on top of the roots, and the tomatos will grow just fine. i do that when i grow veggies, they all go in buckets!

#36516 May 2nd, 2007 at 05:27 PM
OP Offline
I think I will! ;) But instead of tomatoes I might move out my peppers or some of them. I am potting or planting them on the south side of my garage where grass won't grow anyway. The only thing is you can see it from the road. It gets all day sun. Last year's tomato spot only got evening sun as the garage blocked the midday sun. My hub seemed ok with the plan. He fussed real bad last year at first and then came around when I kept it nice and so he was more reasonable this year about it. I still don't have room for carrots and still no one has called answering my garden ads! badday

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image