#364048 Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:57 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
grin

Originally Posted by Tina
I ran off to take care of my business today. Only good for 4 quick stops. And then home to rest again. I am struggling to do a little more each day.

I took it really easy today, I feel like I did too much on Thursday and Friday, wasn't feeling as good as I should today. I took breathing treatments today, and rested on the couch. The Older boys helped make Chef salads for dinner as I just let them snack thru out the day,, I just didn't have any energy to get up and cook.
I feel your struggle Tina when you just don't feel good, but also know we Have to get things done, that only us Mothers can do, makes it kinda tough to get thru the day.
I hope Monday I'm okay to go to work, right now I don't feel like I can be. IF I feel this same way Monday when I get up, I'm taking my butt back to the hospital, seems like I had two good days and now I'm back to square 2 but that's better than square 1 zoink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I hope you and Tina feel better soon.

Still 5000 people here with no power, luckily we have all been restored but this deep freeze and 3 days of no electricity must be tough on those in the city. A lot of people near the water(winds were stronger there) here are repairing their roofs from the damage this week.

Hoping that you all have a restful Sunday kissie

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Willing spring to hurry & get here to help everyone get to feeling better "quicker"...

Wow Sunny, I am so sorry that people are having to do w/o power---that is a scary thuing this time of year, especially.

Off to begin my day---I wish everyone a good one.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Rachel is still asleep. We got a tad drunk last night. adrink

More snow last night. rspb

Last edited by afgreyparrot; Feb 3rd, 2013 at 12:35 AM.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I am so glad you are getting your Rachel time, Cindy. And very glad she is getting her mommy time.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I slept off and on all day clap I feel pretty good right now, we'll see what morning brings.
So glad you got Rachel time in CIndy,, I need some AMbroja time so wish she didn't live over 500 miles away boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Diane, don't go to work if you're not a bunch better. I did that to myself and ended right back sick again. This stuff is taking a long, long time so be careful.

Gosh Sunflower I didn't realize you had such trouble. We had high winds and a few power outages but I think it's all back on now.

We went to church, which totally wiped me out, so I sleep most of the afternoon. Getting over this is taking a while.

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Diane and Tina, hope you are all feeling better. Diane, take it easy and don't push yourself. Sunny, hope the power gets restored, it's awfully cold for that in your neck of the woods. Cindy, glad you and Rachel are getting your mother-daughter time. Sheri, how are you? Took me almost four weeks for me to feel like I was finally recovered from my illness bout. Nasty stuff this year.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Cheryl, I'm a lot better. I can't say I feel sick anymore but I still don't have stamina. I have to rest a lot.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I am around 2 months with my flu. I am still dealing with dripping nose, coughing, sneezing and I still find the need to nap. And I had a flu shot--I cannot imagine how it would be if I had not...
I am going to stay with my Grandson today. His sitter has things to do, so I get my day.. shewinks clap

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Have fun with baby..

Flu? Jeepers seems like it's an all out full Winter bug that has bitten everyone. All hospitals and elderly centers are closed to all visitation here.

It is storming out, called for an inch or so and almost a foot has fallen lol Yup, that's one great weather forecaster we have. Power has been restored to all but they are calling for heavy winds again tonight.

Diane, any chance Ambroja can plan a trip to visit you with the kiddies?

Glad you got some family time Cindy.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. Weather wise we had a very mild January. I'm hoping for a wetter Feb.
I am up a bit early today but ready to begin my week.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Tina, I would love to see your hillside sometime. Do you ever take pictures?

This sick season has been horrible here too and it just won't go away.

I think the sun is shining.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have taken pictures in the past, Sheri. I will say my hillsides are not what they used to be. Since John died, I have had to spend more time doing a lot of the drudge work and have had less time and energy to spend on my posies. I can barely keep the watering system going most of the time.
I have decided to switch from pretties to edibles as much as possible now. I avoided food plants in the past because the critters always got the lion's share. But I'm hoping if I surround the outlying areas in onions, leeks, garlic and things, it may save my more animal attractive plants.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I remember a few years ago you bought a bunch of plants and seeds. Did it work out as planned?

I'm putting most my effort into edibles too. Makes sense.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
My DH asked me what we could plant to store for later---so I said well potaotoes would work well and I could always freeze tomatoes to use in recipes...and yes Sheri, I agree it makes sense.

Night night everyone--sweet dreams.. snooz

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
There is a lot to store for later, even if you do not can. Most of the vegetables can be blanched and frozen. Green beans, peas, squashes, etc.
Sheri, I had lovely posies growing. But I sprained my ankle and had to take it easy for a few weeks. The critters found out that I was MIA and chewed up my plants and the hoses that watered them. They even chewed right through a metal spigot.
I have worked on critter control and repairing my systems the last couple of years with the help of my older son. I have not added much to the plantings. I decided to go with edible plants as much as possible now. The prices of food do nothing but rise. I pretty much figure it is money in the bank with fairly decent interest to do foodstuffs, both purchased and home grown. A personal victory garden.
I am also going to invest in a good dehydrator.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
DH is really looking forward to the lettuce and green beans I grew last year. Going to try a couple new things this year too.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I always put in some spinach & lettuce but it never does well, as my ground is too low..but the time my ground is dry enough it is too warm to plant---but now that I think, I have raised container beds, perhaps if I begin earlier this year they will work.

DH does not like green beans enough for me to grow any, but I was happy with the zuchinni I grew last year--it froze well and I have made casserols from it. I really like pappers as well--they make cheap stuffed papers in the winter.

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I agree edibles is the way to go...each year I expand my garden by a foot or so. It's a slow process but doing it all by hand slows me down. Now if I had a tiller..I'd have it made lol

I wish we had a longer growing season though, sometimes even buying seedlings doesn't work.

Good morning all, very windy and cold here.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning.
Really just working on my stamina still. One foot in front of the other today.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Gosh Tina, what chewed through your metal spigot. Or maybe the question is WHY would something chew on metal? I sure don't want to meet up with that creature int he dark.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yep, I had the same thought as Sheri--what would chew thru metal?? crazy indeed.

Sunny too bad that you do not live closer. My dad gave my DH a small tiller--nice of him huh?/ But the Dh gave it to my DD and I am sure she got rid of it---and that upsets me as we could have used it. But it would have been ok with me if you had gotten it...

well, I am still coughing, but dont feel bad otherwise...so on I go to ceramics. Everyone have a great day...

________

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
hi people, just dropping in for a few mins before my dip in the pool time

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am thinking it was a larger animal that snapped off the metal spigot. Maybe looking for water. It was running like a sun-of-a-gun when I found it. So a bear, possibly. I have not seen a bear but I have seen scat and prints and things. I really prefer not to see them.
I got my kid to school and banked and shopped. I got myself home and put my stuff away. Other than the dishes, I really have not done much else. I will stop to fill my tank before I pick up Ted from school. Fuel is up again. A nap is looking pretty good about now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
10k Posts
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
I am thinking it was a larger animal that snapped off the metal spigot. Maybe looking for water. It was running like a sun-of-a-gun when I found it. So a bear, possibly. I have not seen a bear but I have seen scat and prints and things. I really prefer not to see them.

After //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/281179/Re_Web_Cam_Cedar_Hill_Gardens.html#Post281179 I'd have to agree with you that it was a bear...

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I want so badly to live OUT of the city,, but then Bears that do damage really scare me nervous kilroy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My sister just moved to West Virginia and they have lots of bears. The first week she was there she went for a walk on a greenway and kept seeing signs Beware of Bears. She began to notice that no one else was on the walking path. I imagine if the bears are active during the winter that it's going to be really dangerous during the summer.

My mother has trouble with raccoons all the time. They eat through the screen on her screened in porch.

I almost hate to say this but I am fortunate in that I live in the country but have never had problems with raccoons or any other wild animal unless you count squirrels. flwr We have deer in the yard all the time but the only thing they eat are the fruits from the fruit trees - pears, apples, and plums which doesn't bother me at all.

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I never even saw that topic of Bill's about the bear. I must have been in the hospital.

My mom had bears that came to her compost every night (at her house in the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest that burned down last year). My niece was so afraid of them she had nightmares, and mom had to stop putting stuff in her compost pile.

I think if I came across a bear it would scare the bear more than the bear scared me...he would run for the woods! Sometimes I don't even brush my hair til like 6pm, or right before I take a shower....if I actually DO take a shower. lol

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'd just prefer not to see any bear. I have had many other wildlife here. I never felt bothered by the mountain lions or bob cats. Deer stop by to nibble but don't usually stay long enough to do much real damage. I'd prefer the coyotes kept more distance. And then the groundsquirrels and other small critters that do cause a lot of plant damage.
Sweet dreams all. Heading out to find comfort in my pillows.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Nighty night....I think I will try to sleep now, too...
Wish I had the wildlife here you have there...but I would be feeding all of them and probably end up on that show "Fatal Attractions" on 'Animal Planet'.......

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
G'nite everyone--sweet dreams

________

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Raccoons, oddly enough, are really not a nuisance around here. The possums are barely noticeable. It the crows that create the most destruction. If you don't have your garbage can lid on secure, they will knock it off and tear open the bag and start spreading your trash everywhere. I know some homes have had damage from Northern Flickers. Those things can drum holes into stucco. We've had rats chew through metal pipe at work. The drain line from the kitchen, guess it smells like food and they want to get in there. Every few months you can smell that another one got through the pipe. I think we're pretty lucky in the city. We still get a fair amount of wildlife, for a big city anyway, and not much trouble. I would be terrified to live in the vicinity of bears. There was a resident who was at my work for a while who had been attacked by a bear. That person is lucky to be alive.

I have decided to stop feeling sorry for myself for not being able to run and to stop trying to push my foot to heal. I need to just accept that it will heal in its own time and I just need to let it. In the mean time, I've decided to concentrate on writing again. It's been far too long. I found a 30 day creative writing challenge that I started. Don't think I'll be able to do it in 30 days though, I started what was supposed to be a very short story and I'm only about halfway and won't be able to finish it tonight. There's always tomorrow. Good night everyone!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
up early to get ready to take my MIL to her Drs. appt in a town 65 miles away---and as I do not drive there, DH has also taken the day off of work. Seems it is always something. Wish I could afford a cleaning lady....

________

Morning everyone,

Its another cold morning here, just a dusting of snow overnight....supposed to get more though in the next day or so.

I'm home today, but have some deliveries to do for Brad, off to Toronto though tomorrow, loving the new truck, thank god for 4 wheel drive!!

Enjoy your day everyone.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
Nighty night....I think I will try to sleep now, too...
Wish I had the wildlife here you have there...but I would be feeding all of them and probably end up on that show "Fatal Attractions" on 'Animal Planet'.......

Thankfully you don't live here...we are over run with wildlife. In fact our coyotes are taking over..something needs to be done soon.

Good morning all, errands today.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. It looks like Penny is completely restored. It is nice to see.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Cheryl, sorry about your foot but maybe it's because you're supposed to be writing and when you start writing again you'll find out you can run sometimes and write sometimes. Maybe the universe is getting you back on the right (write - no pun intended) track.

Penny have fun riding around in the new truck.

My moms area was having trouble with bob cats so some smart official brought in coyotes. And of course now dogs and cats are being murdered by coyotes. Idiots.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Coyotes and bobcats are not natural enemies here. They co-exist pretty well and tend to leave each other alone. I would rather see more bobcats than the other though. They are a more efficient hunter.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning all. Minus -38* F here this morning...and they never even cancelled school. Poor kids.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image