Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#363965 Jan 31st, 2013 at 06:33 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone!

I'm quite the researcher/lurker, but in my hours, and hours of studying the magnificent aloe plant, I am at the end of the rope trying to find some simple info out.
Although I LOVE growing aloe, it's not the main usage I have for the plant. I want to regularly harvest the leafs for health reasons.
As-is I have five "Mother" plants that aren't very mature (only 11-12" tall.) and I have been harvesting from these. However, my demand is starting to surpass my supply, and I'm afraid that I'll run out of the more potent-mature leafs, and be hurting the mothers by harvesting leaves that aren't ready yet, or aren't of the potency that I desire.

My solution is, purchase more mature plants, and just add those to my "supply" :P which is very exiting for me, however I'm kind of torn.

I want to leave my plants in the large pots they are in, allow them to grow very large, potent leaves, and then just harvest a little here & there, as they will have a larger quantity of leaves, and a higher concentration in each leaf.
However, as I've been harvesting the leafs, I confirmed/already knew that the removed leafs don't replenish, therefore the usable, growing leafs are left higher-up the plant, and it reveals a thin-bare "stem" of where it used to be full of structure-supporting leafs, making the plant top-heavy, and getting closer & closer to needing a chop & replant to avoid the plant straining under it's own weight.

So, is it worth it to leave them in very roomy pots? I can see, if the plant goes untouched that the roots would need more room, but in my situation, am I just wasting space, crossing my fingers that my plants will grow very mature, and never need to be uprooted/replanted, even though I am regularly using the leafs? If so, would planting them in smaller pots hinder them from growing large?

Starting to get a headache over-thinking this why

TL;DR I need to produce a large amount of high-potency leafs, what is the best way to do this?

Last edited by Feather264; Jan 31st, 2013 at 06:34 AM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have found that a young plant, left in a smallish pot, tends to put out offshoots as it gets rootbound. You end up with a lot of young plants crowded in a single pot.
In my part of California, my answer is to put them out into the yard somewhere for major growth. I have never been able to grow them larger in pots. And even in the yard I can cut some very large leaves. But the harvest will leave them top-heavy and awkward.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I need LOTS of advice about growing aloe. I like having one around for burns but I can't keep one alive.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image