Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#35793 May 1st, 2007 at 01:38 PM
OP Offline
I have had my Dracaena marginata for 2 years now. It has been in the same place for all this time. Suddenly the lower leaves are turning yellow and shrivelling up. The tips of quite a few of the other leaves are yellow as well. What could be the reason?

preciousgreenfingers #35804 May 1st, 2007 at 02:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
It's pretty normal for the lower leaves to fall off.....my mom has had one for years and years and it's huge---but the lower leaves come off all the time. I have 4 of them and they always have bottom leaves falling off too. When mine turn yellow at the bottom I just pull them off....if the tips go yellow I just snip the very tip off.

Have you been watering it the same as you always had been?

#35858 May 1st, 2007 at 05:49 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I have had one for 8 years. I hardly ever lose leaves. It is full from the midddle of the stems up.

I find that it does as you say when it gets too much water.

Alot of people water more as it gets warmer. I actually water my houseplants less as it gets warmer. I water more in the winter, because the heat running dries my plants faster than they dry in summer.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #35893 May 1st, 2007 at 06:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Mine big one is full from the middle up too, but the very lower leaves often fall off or I pull them off when they look sickly.....And I know I don't overwater so I don't get too alarmed, for 10 plus years I've watched my moms drop a lot of lower leaves as it gets taller and taller--hers is huge!

Although you are right, overwatering can def. contribute to them dropping leaves. thumbup That was the first houseplant lesson I learned---not to overwater--that kills more plants than anything else.

#36305 May 2nd, 2007 at 08:19 AM
OP Offline
I dont think I'm overwatering it. But all the same I will bear it in mind when I water it. Yesterday I planted tiny plants of lambs ears under it-dont know how wise that was as lambs ear can be quite invasive. But the pot looked quite bare. Shall I leave them there or will it harm my dracaena in any way?

preciousgreenfingers #36492 May 2nd, 2007 at 04:42 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i usually water mine when it gets dry.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image