Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#362424 Dec 12th, 2012 at 09:11 AM
OP Offline
I went to mississipi market yesterday and I got a Rojo congo philodendron. Its in a window now and I plan on getting a humitity tray for it. I was told this is a low to medium light plant, my window faces a house so it doesn't get direct sun. We keep our house at around 70 to 71 degrees.

OP Offline
Though my forum name is Meatyallstar I'm called Alex.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome Alex wavy

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi Alex, welcome to the forum. Do you have a picture of your plant? It is your first plant? How did you come to choose it? ...inquiring minds want to know.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
I guess I could take a photo of it, I would have to ask staff for a computerized camra ( I live in a group home- have Autism) But Yes I saw it growing at Mississippi market and thought to write down the name, look up its growing condictions/ if its toxic to cats as i have 2 cats. It is mildly but I'm getting biter apple spray to ward them off. Keeping my room door either shut or closely supervised when open. Turns out I have low to medium light from a window will get a humidity tray/humidifier the temp in the house is a bit low for it, its 70 to 71 degrees.But sense its overwintering I don't see a problem.

Rojo congo has big leaves and has red new growth also the stems and fleshy parts that come off the stems are red. It has airial roots which are roots that it uses to grow on things.

Last edited by meatyallstar; Dec 13th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hi Alex
Your off to a good start.
welcome an good luck with plants
dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have aspergers. It sounds like a great plant to start with. I started with a cinnamon basil in 2005 and haven't looked back yet. I read all 1250 fact sheets on this website when I started and asked about a billion questions. Everyone was very tolerant of me. I think you will like it here.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
thanks. do you guys think i need a light for it what are the signs it may need more light. I'm getting hopefully the biter apple spray tonight after christmas shopping. I'll look at ways to make my room more humid this weekend when I have more time.

OP Offline
Got the bitter yuck- spray and now I'm just waiting for friday to pass so I can go to highland nurshery. I saw a warm air humidifier on sale for 40 bucks at target but dad says I can get one cheaper at walgreens. I'll have to get a photo of it ( the philodendron) to show you guys.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image